UL summit/day pack with hydration sleeve?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
pirate

UL summit/day pack with hydration sleeve?

by pirate » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:30 pm

Hello All:

Looking for a UL day pack or summit pack that has a hydration sleeve < 100g . I can't find one with a hydration (bladder) sleeve.

I am fat and lazy and don't want to carry weight, so I'm a "gram weeny" and 100 g is *always* too much. I usually camp, then take out a UL daypack and go bag a peak. So that daypack sits in my pack and is dead weight otherwise. Now there are 71 g (2.5 oz) ultra-sil daypacks that are just fine for this (1). The problem is that they don't have hydration reservoir sleeves. My GF refuses, absolutely refuses, to ditch her "hydration bladder" or "reservoir" (not worth the weight for me, but who am I to argue) so I'm looking for an ultra-sil or whatever UL day pack with hydration sleeve at < 100 g (< 3.5 oz). I would much appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of one.

The problem with going without the sleeve is that they normally close with a zipper, and sticking the tube out of the zipper either requires tying the zippers together (a real pain) or not tying them, and having the zipper open and all your stuff fall out.

PRO TIP: Use summit pack for clothes sack and pillow to save weight: I've gotten into the habit of using my summit pack to hold all clothes on the hike up, dumping them all out into the tent for peak-bagging days, then on return to tent, stuffing the clothes back in the bag to use as a pillow. Saves you the weight of a stuff sack and pillow.
Disclaimer:I've been reading that stomach sleepers need a very thin pillow. Stuffing a pack will *not* get you a thin pillow and may not be comfortable for you.

-TPC

Note (1) Thse are good except for being made in China - I don't like to buy such things for human rights reasons. - I would be greatful if there was a workaround for that.

Woodswalker

Re: UL summit/day pack with hydration sleeve?

by Woodswalker » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:54 pm

Poke a hole in the pack for the water tube. Reinforce the hole with a metal grommet or firm stitching. Sew a flap there to cover the hole when not in use.

Return to Gear