Ultralight multi-day climbing pack

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Misha

Ultralight multi-day climbing pack

by Misha » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:10 pm

I am lookng for a 2-3lb climbing pack that can carry 40-45lb. It should be usable with a helmet on while on steep terrain. A frame is helpful but not necessary. I am willing to sacrifice some comforts and features as long as the pack is light.

At this point, I am trying to decide between Osprey Exos 58, GoLite Jam/Pinnacle and CiloGear Dyneema 45L

Any opinions about these packs or any other recommendations?

bird

by bird » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:33 pm

Pinnacle is not good for climbing. In one trip the waist buckle broke and a strap ripped off. I returned it. Partner has used Jam and liked it. REI Flash looks interesting.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:00 pm

I have an Osprey Exposure 66 that weighs in a little over 3 lbs that carries heavy loads really well and doesn't interfere with my helmet. Have you checked out the Osprey Variant 52?

Tsuyoshi

by Tsuyoshi » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:07 pm

cilogear!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have the 40b and love it. it carries weight better than any other climbing pack i've used (wildthings ice sac, ricesac, cold cold world chernobyl etc). but the best part is how it climbs. no helmet issues at all!

Misha

by Misha » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:12 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:I have an Osprey Exposure 66 that weighs in a little over 3 lbs that carries heavy loads really well and doesn't interfere with my helmet. Have you checked out the Osprey Variant 52?

I have Osprey Aether 60 (older model). It climbs well and is super comfortable *but* it is a tad over 4lb. To make it worthwhile, I am looking to shave ~2lb off my pack weight

Snowy

Pack

by Snowy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:43 am

Pod Sacs Thin Ice or X-pod. Awesome packs that can be stripped down; very durable. The X-pod is a good bit larger and heavier but still weighs under 3 lbs stripped http://www.prolitegear.com/site/search_engine.html?mv_session_id=QwdJZkAZ%3A153.90.84.195&search_clear=1&criteria=pod+sacs

KevinCraig

by KevinCraig » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:05 am

The 45L carries weight well and can be easily tweaked with respect to weight vs. features. Also climbs very well.

If you decide on an Osprey, I'd recommend the Variant 52.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:01 am

I would get a CiloGear 60L. It still shrinks down small and it can also carry larger 40-45lb loads. My favorite pack ever!

no avatar
dishwasher-dave

by dishwasher-dave » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:04 am

I have had good luck with the golite pinnacle and jam2. Fairly simple design, reasonably durable pack material, but still light. They are also pretty affordable.

My one gripe with my (older model) is that the side compression straps don't allow for attaching across the back of the pack for carrying the occasional big awkward load. Not sure if the newer ones allow this, it would just require offsetting one male/female buckle.

no avatar
robpatterson5

by robpatterson5 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Osprey Exposure packs do not climb well, have had good luck w/ my clio 45 so far. was useing a Ospreyy Ceres 38 which was a little too small; a Ceres 50 might also work for you

fatdad

by fatdad » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:58 pm

I'm always surprised by how low a profile Wild Things and Cold Cold World get on these threads. Both make awesome packs.

I've had a Wild Things Ice Sac (which may be a little small for what you're looking for) but it's been a great pack over the years. I'm on my second one. http://www.wildthingsgear.com

Cilogear always seem to get lots of good press but I've always heard issues about workmanship and customer service.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:06 pm

There is an obvious trade-off between weight and durability; many light packs use thin nylon. In snow, that may not be an issue, but with bushwhacking and rock tears, it is.

asmrz

by asmrz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:07 pm

I would second Fatdad's Wild Things recommendation. I have owned their Andinista since 1993 and (for lightweight alpine climbing) it does the job superbly. I had carried 50lbs in it several times, but with 40 lbs, it is more stable. Not cheap, but extremely smartly made with features that only someone who wants to go light, might appreciate. But who would that be...

ksolem

by ksolem » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Climbing pioneer Dan McHale makes beautiful custom fit light packs in all sizes.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/

asmrz

by asmrz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:47 pm

What we need here is a good conversation and to compare apples to apples when it comes to packs (and anything else).

1. Do you neeed a multipurpose pack to carry gear, hike, backpack to a base camp and stay there while you use a day pack to go climbing?

2. Or do you need a pack to go on an overnight technical alpine climb from the trailhead to the top of the climb and back?

If you need a pack to go on a alpine climb, be able to use the frame sheet as a bivy pad, be able to put your feet into the pack and tie the extension sleeve around you, that is one thing. You will not find it in a solid frame pack. Only removable frame pack will offer you that flexibility. Do you need to lower the volume of the pack easily and quickly, so you can climb with it? Most packs are not designed to do that easily and well. Do you need to be able to remove your ice tools from the holsters without taking the pack off? Do you need to have a gear sling as a part of the pack, so you can hang your climbing pro on the pack? Do you need to haul the pack once in a while? Do you need ski holsters on your alpine climbing pack? Do you need to extend the size and the load once in a while?

When we start comparing apples to apples, there are only very few packs that can deliver all of this for technical alpine climbing. Wild Things packs will deliver all of it and more.

These packs are very specific in their use. They are for two/three days of technical alpine rock and ice climbing, and very little else. Very trip specific gear.

You want a multipurpose pack, that is another post and propably (I'm guessing) not what Misha had in mind.

Next

Return to Gear