New Year's Day winter climb of Gannett Peak in Wyoming 1981

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Clair Alpine Roberts

New Year's Day winter climb of Gannett Peak in Wyoming 1981

by Clair Alpine Roberts » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:24 am

This site is too complex for this old man. I've tried for 2 days to post a comment to a question asking about a winter ascent of Gannett Peak in Wyoming. YES we did it on 1-1-1981. 7 of us hiked and skied in to Base camp at Dinwoody Glacier from the east via the Wind River Indian Reservation. On January 1, 1981, 6 of us made a successful climb to the summit and back to camp. Then 2 more days getting back out to Dubois, Wyoming. FIVE days for the entire winter trip, which is the normal time for a summer climb! The weather was perfect. I've searched all over the web and cannot find any record of our climb. It was documented by the Dubois, WY newspaper about a week after our climb. Members of our group included three of us USFS employees, including Gary Weigel, John Thomas, Ann Odasz, Gary Bolton, Dee Sims, James Wagoner and myself, Clair Roberts (trip leader). Far Out man!! I'm in my 70s now. I hope this makes it onto the website as it was and is a an important climb and may be the only New Year's Day climb of Gannett Peak. Namaste'.

The following user would like to thank Clair Alpine Roberts for this post
Alpinist, McCannster, ZeeJay

Alpinist

Re: New Year's Day winter climb of Gannett Peak in Wyoming

by Alpinist » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:35 pm

I'd love to hear more about that trip! You should consider writing a trip report. You can submit it here on SummitPost or possibly to the American Alpine Club. I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to help you upload it.

phydeux

Re: New Year's Day winter climb of Gannett Peak in Wyoming

by phydeux » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:35 pm

I'm just seeing this. The logical answer is to contact the newspaper in Wyoming that did the story if they are still in existence, or contact whatever newspaper (news service?) is now in the area and see if they might have the records of old newspapers they might have acquired as the news industry consolidated. If that is not successful maybe contact a local college or university (University of Wyoming?) and see if they have any microfiche or on-line accessible records of newspapers from that era. That sounds like something of interest as you and your fellow climbers may very well be the first to have done it on New Years Day. Winter mountaineering was growing in popularity back then, especially here in California IIRC. Cheers!

Return to General