Bringing A Newbie On A Winter Climb But Where?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Erik Beeler

Bringing A Newbie On A Winter Climb But Where?

by Erik Beeler » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:37 am

Hey All,

Its been a while since I have really posted here at all but when I started to have the idea about bringing my nephew up a mountain I though this would be the perfect place to start devising a plan. He is in college now and a varsity football player, so very fit and agile. He has almost zero technical climbing experience but has been up a few walls.

I would like to take him up a mountain and one of our better windows of opportunity is between Thanksgiving and New Years. So cold her in North America. I am looking for a mountain that is a commitment not easy but has lower objective hazards. If I could skip dealing with crevasses and avalanches that would be great. He is from MN and able to deal with cold well and I have winter mountaineering experience including an ascent of Liberty Ridge in winter conditions.

I have considered exiting the country and looking for a mountain in Central America but that raises the logistical challenges including getting him a PassPort etc. Gear won't be an issue because I am pretty sure I can get him equipped while he is in MN from friends there.

OK so where? Central America or the West/South West US come to mind. I have done a winter ascent of Mount Democrat and that would be OK but there must be better ones out there. Thanks ahead of time for any ideas.

Erik

ExcitableBoy

Re: Bringing A Newbie On A Winter Climb But Where?

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:42 am

The Mexican volcanoes could be a good choice. They should enjoy good weather and conditions at some point during that time period. Mexico would be a better bet than most North American mountain ranges.

A trip to the NE U.S. would be cool. You could go mountaineering the Presidentials or Whites, or go ice climbing in Lake Willoughby, VT, New Hampshire, or the Adirondacks.

Return to General