Eatern Dolomites from Venice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:16 am

Cortina would be best I think - but do trains go there? If you look at this page you'll see a little map in which you can see that the mountains are very close to the town. Also there is bus service to the passes and to the other towns and villages in the area (Gabriele provided a link with the schedule on the page). I would say you don not need to rent a car there.

Tiziana should be able to answer about Trento - but it is not in the Dolomites. To reach the Dolomite mountains you would probably have to rent a car. Though you might stay in Trento and climb the local mountains.

PeterN

by PeterN » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:01 am

Bozen and Meran would also be possible. Both destinations have a train station and can be reached in about 2-3 hours from Venice (according to www.oebb.at) and are relativly near to the mountains.

Helle

by Helle » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:03 am

Go by train from Venice through Treviso to Calalzo. From Calalzo you can go by bus (a very short fare) to Domegge de Cadore. From here you have access to a great area. Walk to Rifugio Padova. From Padova you have access to a great rock climbing area or you can hike in the beautiful surroundings.

Enjoy.
Helle

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:03 pm

Take the train to Cortina, taxi up to Misurina and then 2-3 hour hike to the Refugio below Le Tre Cima de Lavaredo. Climbing abounds on either of the Tre Cima's. Classic's among the Classic's! :wink:
Go here for info:http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/150212/tre-cime-di-lavaredo-drei-zinnen.html

Moni

by Moni » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:04 am

The Dolomites are one of the few places where we have opted to rent a car. Bus and train schedules can be just off enough to make it difficult to do anything long. We have rented in Austria and driven into Italy - cheaper that way. If you chose to rent, it's best to to do so before you leave for Italy rather than in Italy - again because of cost. Driving in that part of the world is not bad.

Your profile doesn't state where you are from, but I have gotten very good car rental deals by reserving a car through a company in the US. My European relatives have been amazed how much cheaper it was.

MOP

by MOP » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:36 pm

It is very easy to go from Venice to Domegge by Train.
From Domegge you can take the bus to Cortina. There are many routes all around Cortina.
You don't think you need a car: you can walk everyday and sleep in the 'Rifugi'.
As you are in Cortina ask for 'Tabacco' Map it will be easier to plan you route.

If you want to see something about dolomites visit:
http://www.montipallidi.eu
I am sorry but at the moment it is only in italian.

no avatar
jhp1004

by jhp1004 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:24 pm

Hi Mari.

With this address www.db.de you are able to plan your train ride anywhere in Europe - it's "Die Bahn", the German Rail (I'm Danish myself, working in the danish rail and we only use this site to plan travelling in Europe).

And there are no trains to Cortina.

This www.sad.it and this www.dolomitibus.it are sites covering most of the Dolomites area with busses.

Here www.cai.it which is the Club Alpino Italiano you will be able to find for instance huts (rifugios) all over Italy.

Concerning maps I also prefere Tabacco - they are very accurate topografical maps of the Dolomites, best 1:25.000.

Remember, if you go by car you always have to get back to get the car. If you don't have a car you will be able to follow one of the fantastic routes - the Alta Vias 1-8 or so - for just a few days, or several weeks. Alta Via means The High Route, and they follow high tracks from hut to hut. The huts are either private or owned by the CAI, and they are all very beautiful situated and well run with all necessities for the relaxed life in the mountains.

Here is a page about many useful things in the Dolomites www.dolomiti.it

I hope this helps you some of the way to the most beautiful mountains in the world.

CIAO
Jørgen

Gabriele Roth

Re: Belluno, Bolzano ?

by Gabriele Roth » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:55 pm

annwyn wrote:National Park in Bellumo have good hikes

starting from Belluno you can find some fine hikes in the Schiara group

Moni

by Moni » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:10 am

Trailheads are really not hard to find. Most larger towns have a tourist bureau which has all the info you need. Everything is well signed. Just be aware, if you take a gondola, etc. to go high, when the last ride down is. Otherwise, you'll have a longer than planned hike. Also be aware of the last bus out of an area and how it all ties together. Again the tourist bureau will have that info. Much of it is on the Internet, too.

Return to Europe