Alps or Caucasus this summer?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
BigLee

Alps or Caucasus this summer?

by BigLee » Sat May 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I'm foreseeing the worst snow, ice and mixed climbing in the Alps on record this summer (July). I'm envisioning bare gullies, gigantic bergshrunds and disappearing routes.

I'm wondering whether The Caucasus (most likely the Bezengi region or Ushba) are going to be potentially better or just as crap? When I was last in the Caucasus I remember it generally being a lot colder than the Alps so figure climbing conditions might be any marginally better.

What's the verdict?

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Sat May 12, 2007 5:18 pm

Georgia had an above dry winter as well but there were heavy snow falls in April (with one avalanche fatality in a village near Kazbegi; Jvari Pass was closed ten days ago). I am there in Mid-June so I can give you feedback once back in Tbilisi. No idea about the Russian side.

And yeah, here in the Eastern Alps we are close to the worst conditions on record already now in May. So July won't be pretty; but it could look better in the Westen Alps!?

Return to Europe