Georgian Caucasus

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
japatta

Georgian Caucasus

by japatta » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 am

Hello everybody,

In septembre -octobre I will be in Georgia I would like to do some hiking/climbing in the Svanatian range (Mestia)

Anybody has some experience there ? I would prefer to make an high alltitude trekking of 5 to 7 days with some glacier-crossings with some nice views and some easy summits, no technical climbs. I have quite al lot of experience with hiking (also in Russia and Georgia(Kazbek)), but still have to gain my first expierence with glaciers rescueing-techniques I will follow a course this summer (July) in the Alps.

I was thinking of starting in Mestia going North to Lekzyr glacier via the Bashil pass to the dzynal glacier and back to Mestia (according to the circumstances add one of the summits)

Anybody can recommend some routes? And how to avoid trumbles around the russian border?
And what about the state of the glaciers/snow that time of the year? Is it OK? (I wont be able to go earlier than last week of septembre)

I have the books: trekking in the Caucasus (kolomiets & Solovyev) and Classic climbs in the Caucasus (Bender) I will also order trekking in Russia and central asia.
I also downloaded these kind of maps http://www.topomaps.eu/caucasus/georgia100k.shtml

and if someone has recommandations in Armenia I will stay a few days there too

Thanks a lot,
Brecht

Return to Europe