runner thread

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Carbo

by Carbo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:52 pm

CClaude

by CClaude » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Carbo wrote:Check out this girls finish :shock:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highscho ... id=3111847

I would hate to see it, but you wonder why such a catastrophic fracture occur in mid-stride, unless its due to osteoperosis. I would hate to think this young woman would compramise her health (ie: with an eating disorder which greatly enhances such events) for anything. Its really not worth it. I used to date a woman whose sister was 2nd in the 800 years ago in the NCAA's, and then her coach told her if she lost a few pounds she would bee so much better (lame-brain of a coach). She never ran well after the eating disorder took over her life (and messed her life up in general for a while).

Carbo

by Carbo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:29 pm

CClaude wrote:
Carbo wrote:Check out this girls finish :shock:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highscho ... id=3111847

I would hate to see it, but you wonder why such a catastrophic fracture occur in mid-stride, unless its due to osteoperosis. I would hate to think this young woman would compramise her health (ie: with an eating disorder which greatly enhances such events) for anything. Its really not worth it. I used to date a woman whose sister was 2nd in the 800 years ago in the NCAA's, and then her coach told her if she lost a few pounds she would bee so much better (lame-brain of a coach). She never ran well after the eating disorder took over her life (and messed her life up in general for a while).

I was thinking osteoperosis too. Had a friend that qualified for the olympic trial on the marathon distance. She didn't get to go due to a stress fracture in her lower back due to osteoperosis. I think the hard workouts and hormone disturbances played a bigger role for her (I don't think she was anorexic at all). Maybe that is part to blame for this girl too or she is predisposed to weaker bonestrutcture (did you ever see the French player Cisse brake his leg twice while palying for Liverpool, he was barely touched both times). But sad that a coach promotes that kind of diet and disease.

kheegster

by kheegster » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:27 pm

What sort of footwear or modifications thereof that you guys use on snow? The most cost-effective option for me at the moment seems like using Yak-Trax on my road shoes, but would that work well?

Augie Medina

Interval Training

by Augie Medina » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:53 pm

Who does regular interval training? I belong to a running club that has interval workouts once a week at Cal Tech (in Pasadena, CA). Once every 3 months, we do a 1 mile time trail to see how you're improving or not. The workouts are always very tough, but that natural high at the end of the workout is always a great way to end the day. I find these speed sessions really keep me sharp even when my weekly running mileage is low (e.g., only 20 miles sometimes).

Translated to climbing mountains, the speed workout feels just like you do when you're getting anaerobic pushing up a route (especially, say, above 10,000 feet) to get to the summit.

divnamite

by divnamite » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:37 pm

kheegster wrote:What sort of footwear or modifications thereof that you guys use on snow? The most cost-effective option for me at the moment seems like using Yak-Trax on my road shoes, but would that work well?

You mean running on snow and trails? Unless you know the trails perfectly well, don't. Snow covers alot of hidden holes and rocks, those things will kill your ankles. Run on roads, or well groomed/establish paths.

Fractal Maniac

Re: Interval Training

by Fractal Maniac » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:50 pm

Mountain Impulse wrote:Who does regular interval training? I belong to a running club that has interval workouts once a week at Cal Tech (in Pasadena, CA). Once every 3 months, we do a 1 mile time trail to see how you're improving or not. The workouts are always very tough, but that natural high at the end of the workout is always a great way to end the day. I find these speed sessions really keep me sharp even when my weekly running mileage is low (e.g., only 20 miles sometimes).

Translated to climbing mountains, the speed workout feels just like you do when you're getting anaerobic pushing up a route (especially, say, above 10,000 feet) to get to the summit.

In my experience, hard tempo runs that last 15 to 60 minutes seem to get me into better aerobic shape than intervals or sprints. That's not to say that another person couldn't have slightly different results, but I think intervals and sprints are over-rated because they are easier to do than tempo runs. At the same time, the fastest endurance runners do a little bit of sprints and intervals, on top of their high mileage and tempo runs.

Since this is the runner thread:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=htfyOpI3VVY
My friend exaggerates a bit. Not sure how he can eat a pound of red grapes without having issues. :D

kheegster

by kheegster » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:59 pm

divnamite wrote:
kheegster wrote:What sort of footwear or modifications thereof that you guys use on snow? The most cost-effective option for me at the moment seems like using Yak-Trax on my road shoes, but would that work well?

You mean running on snow and trails? Unless you know the trails perfectly well, don't. Snow covers alot of hidden holes and rocks, those things will kill your ankles. Run on roads, or well groomed/establish paths.

I meant road-running on snow/ice. Do people just run in their regular shoes, or something else?

Chris

by Chris » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:48 pm

kheegster wrote:
divnamite wrote:

I meant road-running on snow/ice. Do people just run in their regular shoes, or something else?

Screw shoes work much much better than YakTrax. I ran hundreds of miles of very technical mountain trails in mine last year with no problems at all. Only had to replace a screw or two.

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Super cheap, easy to make, and they work very well... check-em out.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:53 am

Maxwellz Demon wrote:In my experience, hard tempo runs that last 15 to 60 minutes seem to get me into better aerobic shape than intervals or sprints. That's not to say that another person couldn't have slightly different results, but I think intervals and sprints are over-rated because they are easier to do than tempo runs. At the same time, the fastest endurance runners do a little bit of sprints and intervals, on top of their high mileage and tempo runs. :D

Interval workouts always beat me up way more than my tempo runs. Of course, I think that the shorter the competition distance, the more interval training helps and vice versa. Certainly, it wouldn't help the recreational runner much in training for a marathon.

CClaude

by CClaude » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:12 am

I used to do both intervals and fartleks and steady state runs depending on the time of the season. I would start out with steady state runs, close to race pace) aand then go into fartleks, (1 minute pace at my 1 mile race pace, then slow down to 75% of my normal training pace , and continue to alternate this for 80percent of my daily mileage with the other 20% for a warm up and a warmdown) and then for intervals, it would be either ladders (200m, 400m, 800m, 1600m 800m, 400m, 200m) with a 3 mile warmup and down with a short rest between intervals, or 800m or mile repeats with minimal rests between repeats.

Fractal Maniac

by Fractal Maniac » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:25 am

Mountain Impulse wrote:
Maxwellz Demon wrote:In my experience, hard tempo runs that last 15 to 60 minutes seem to get me into better aerobic shape than intervals or sprints. That's not to say that another person couldn't have slightly different results, but I think intervals and sprints are over-rated because they are easier to do than tempo runs. At the same time, the fastest endurance runners do a little bit of sprints and intervals, on top of their high mileage and tempo runs. :D

Interval workouts always beat me up way more than my tempo runs. Of course, I think that the shorter the competition distance, the more interval training helps and vice versa. Certainly, it wouldn't help the recreational runner much in training for a marathon.

test

Fractal Maniac

by Fractal Maniac » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:28 am

It says I'm not signed in. Anyhow, I think that's part of it. Tempo runs maintain a high heart rate for a long period of time, yet they produce less muscle soreness than sprints and intervals, so they are easier to recovery from and do another quality workout. The hard part I was referring to is completing the workout with a hard effort. Intervals I think take less mental determination.

Nikman

by Nikman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:46 pm

I bought myself a treadmill (Horizon Fitness Paragon III HRC) recently and kind of like it. It can be adjusted up to 12 percent acclivity. If I adjust it at 12 percent, I can go for 99 mins at 5km per hour with a constant heart rate about 150 bps.
This results in 8,25km total distance or an altitude of 990 meters workout.

After working out on the treadmill, I feel pretty well compared to my exhaustion after running 10km outside (what I usualy do in something under an hour with 350 meters of total altitude). No more pain in the knee from the treadmill, that I have once in a while when running on solid ground/streets outside.

Does this kind of training (kind of low speed combined with constant altitude) improve the physical endurance better compared to a higher speed without any or constant altitude?

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training