runner thread

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
CClaude

by CClaude » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:44 am

Nikman wrote:I bought myself a treadmill (Horizon Fitness Paragon III HRC) recently and kind of like it. It can be adjusted up to 12 percent acclivity. If I adjust it at 12 percent, I can go for 99 mins at 5km per hour with a constant heart rate about 150 bps.
This results in 8,25km total distance or an altitude of 990 meters workout.

After working out on the treadmill, I feel pretty well compared to my exhaustion after running 10km outside (what I usualy do in something under an hour with 350 meters of total altitude). No more pain in the knee from the treadmill, that I have once in a while when running on solid ground/streets outside.

Does this kind of training (kind of low speed combined with constant altitude) improve the physical endurance better compared to a higher speed without any or constant altitude?

It depends if you are looking to improve anaerobic threshold or general endurance. _ But in general if the 10K outdoors is harder then the 8.25Km/990m altitude gain then you will probably not gain as much improvement on the treadmill (really depends on wat you mean as beat up. If you are describing it as less fatigue due to work load then you ave your answer. At higher workloads (near anaerobic thresholds) several things are going on, many of them beneficial.

BUT if you find that you have less pain while doing that workout as compared to running outside, you are better off doing it. If you can prevent injury and continually workout at a level, that is better then working out harder and dealing with injuries.

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:04 pm

Here's a question for those who run in cold weather. I've already asked about what clothes to wear, but I need to know about how to protect my lungs. How will breathing cold air affect running? What are some precautions I need to take to prevent becoming ill? I know that cold dry air can exacerbate asthma symptoms, so is there any way of acclimating the body to breathing colder air? In general what are some guidelines for aerobic exercise in cold weather? thanks for the help.

CClaude

by CClaude » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:06 pm

I don't know where this concern about breathing in cold air came from but its greatly overhyped. Growing up and running competatively in the northern midwest I would regularly run in cold weather (with my coldest run longer then 5 miles was at a -38F raw temperture (windchill not factored in)). There was always a fallacy that you wouldl freeze your lungs. I caun say for certain that down to -40F you won't since I've run many days between -20F and -38F without a problem.

As for asthmatics, discuss your concern with your doctor.

In very cold weather (below 0F) the biggest concern is frostbite, and when its windy out men have other things to consider also, mainly PFB. Windpants and jackets help, mittens (below 0F forget the gloves) and a good hat. Below -15F you will probably accumulate significant frost on your eyebrows and lashes, (your eyes may feel like they are being frozen shut but its no big deal).

Alo plan your route carefully, with running out into the wind and back with it

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:13 pm

I can't comment too much on running, but I would back what CClaude said. I have done a lot of aerobic activity (BC skiing for example) in temps down to about -20F with no problems. My asthma is mild and triggered by allergies, so the cold doesn't bother me.

As for the gloves/mittens, I don't think I have ever used my mittens except when hanging around camp in cold (-20F down). I always use gloves while skiing, usually just wind blocker fleece gloves if it's above 0F, get out the warm gloves below that.

no avatar
sidhayes

by sidhayes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:21 pm

Borti-the answer is no. Increased strength will increase your short distance (sprint) speed up hills but will not significantly improve your long ascents, unless you are quite sub-standard in your leg strength now. As always, in long term efforts, oxygen delivery and receiving systems of your body are the limiting factors.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:28 pm

What are your running goals for 2008? My over-all goal is to do more races this year: 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon and a 50k trail race or two. Maybe even do the L.A. Marathon in March although I've done it a few times already so it really doesn't excite me. Last year the cupboard was nearly bare as far as races goes, but this year I want to get back to it. I need to get back down under 20 minutes in the 5K.

I thought I'd set out my goals here as a way of commiting myself.

Charles

by Charles » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Had a good run this morning, I was out for nearly 2 hours. The only problem was that a number of the trails were badly iced which meant for some good skids!!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:33 pm

Borti wrote:For leg strength, I have started incorporating quite a bit of hills into my workout. Long, steep hills make up about half of my routine now, and over the past few month's my legs have grown quite stronger.

I was wondering if adding squats to that will aid in my ability to move up hill. If I cut back on the hills, but kept up the volume and mileage and intensity of running, would squats add the appropriate strength to my leg muscles to improve my ability to trudge upwards?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I used to do squats and calf raises to strengthen my legs, but I have found that trail running on hills, in addtion to climbing and skiing make my legs plenty strong. It is also my feeling that doing leg exercises just tires my legs so that I have less effective running workouts.

gbrady

by gbrady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:40 pm

Love running. There is no better aerobic conditioning that can be done outside that is more convienent, allows for peak conditioning, and is so inexpensive.

narcolepticpug

by narcolepticpug » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:12 am

Borti wrote:
I was wondering if adding squats to that will aid in my ability to move up hill. If I cut back on the hills, but kept up the volume and mileage and intensity of running, would squats add the appropriate strength to my leg muscles to improve my ability to trudge upwards?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

absolutely not... about 6 months ago. before i got into hike mountaineering or any kind of cardio. i used to work out 6 days a week (powerlifting training) and could squat nearly 405lbs and could deadlift about 495lbs... about a month ago i started hiking and today actually i did my first run at i good incline and craped out at about a mile.

i stoped lifting and im going to get into running to get my cardio up.

(iv never done cardio before now and moving a 225lb body up a mountain is HARD TO DO)

no avatar
creekside

by creekside » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:44 am

i fell your pain bro, try moving 245 up a hill,haha. i used to be into powerlifting and have lifted for 17+ yrs. i dropped my strength lifting and increased the cardio workouts about 4 months ago and dropped from 258 to 245. i currently run 3 mi's a day and i ride my road bike on a trainer for 1 hr a day. i found interval training helped alot in building endurance related to hiking. i also spend 30mins 2 times a day 2 days a week on a treadmill at 10% incline and 3.5mph.

Charles

by Charles » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:08 pm

This is going to be the big year! I´m signing up for my first marathon in May :D

mtn runr

by mtn runr » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:22 pm

I hope that goes well for you, Charles. If you haven't already, you might want to look at UltraRunning magazine. There are dozens or hundreds of competitive running events each year that take place not on roads but in venues that would interest SPers. For almost 20 years the Wasatch Front 100-mile Endurance Run was a central fact of my life. Alas, age and it's skeletal consequences have cooled my jets, so to speak. But I'm still planning to run a 50K trail race in Moab, Utah, next Saturday. Trail running (and trail-less running) is a natural compliment to mountaineering.

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training