runner thread

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
CClaude

by CClaude » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:09 pm

thebeave7 wrote:
Haliku wrote:
mtn runr wrote:If you haven't already, you might want to look at UltraRunning magazine.

I didn't even know this thread was here. Not having the time to review 34+ pages what ultra running websites/boards are out there that are worth some time? I'm training for my first 50k right now--and I used to think marathon training took up too much time..HA! Cheers.

Like Haliku there are way too many pages of this tread to review, but I'll try and keep up from now on. I do a lot of running, exclusively on trails, races ranging from 10K-100milers(emphasis on the Ultras). UltraRunner Mag is a good resource and run100s.com is a great place to find races. For training tips I don't know of any ultra dedicated boards, because I've learned all my training, fueling, hydration strategies from those who preceded me. The experienced ultra runner is usually a great source of info.

The fueling/hydration strategies just take time and experimentation to find out what works. Eating while running and consuming enough fluids to stay hydrated are something many aren't used to. Slack on either one during an Ultra and you'll be in trouble. Shorter races you can often push through, maybe even a marathon if you are strong willed, but I wouldn't recommend running an ultra like that.

Gareth, I know many runners that use the little round band-aids to prevent chaffing, they say it works really well(I've never personally had an issue).

sidhayes wrote:Borti-the answer is no. Increased strength will increase your short distance (sprint) speed up hills but will not significantly improve your long ascents...

Dunno if I completely agree with this, there is a certain aspect of leg muscle/power necessary for climbing steep hills. So I guess I only partially disagree, low weight/high rep stuff can help you build up the power, but it's not going to help with the long term endurance/O2 delivery. Power lifting, as mentioned by one of the other posters, would not be very useful for this. A very competitive ultra runner I know out here in CO attributes his hill running ability to intense 1h leg workouts in the gym, allowing him to power up hills, even at mile 70+(he finished the Leadville 100 in 3rd place at age 48 last year, that's impressive).

Eric
2008 Race Schedule(Anyone else running these?);
San Juan Solstice Jun 21st
Nolan's 14 July sometime
Pacing Leadville 100 Aug 16th
Angeles Crest 100 Sept 13th

I think in the ultrarunning group, there isn't enough emphasis on being efficient and fast. Growing up I dated a woman (Suzanne) who's father George Savanick would start the year out running 800m and 1500m races in the indoor track season, then progressively get to longer races so by mid-year he would be doing marathons (he was a decent marathoner at 2:38 as a 45+ masters) and then by mid-fall do a 100K or 100mile race which he would usually easily win (sometimes setting course records) before the end of the year which were for the cross country championships. Training fast brings efficiency which translates to any distance

Also case in point is Alex Tilson (he is a pretty good marathoner- if I remember right he ran a 2:15 marathon to qualify for the 2004 Olympic Trials) then broke the WR at 50K (but due to technicalities was only given the US record) and when I last talked to him he was working on breaking the WR at 100K (he was an ex-coworker who I would train with occassionally).

Speed is a friend

Chris

by Chris » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:04 pm

CClaude wrote:I think in the ultrarunning group, there isn't enough emphasis on being efficient and fast.

I agree with this 100%

Haliku

by Haliku » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:41 pm

Chris wrote:
CClaude wrote:I think in the ultrarunning group, there isn't enough emphasis on being efficient and fast.

I agree with this 100%

I was a pacer for my friend at the Lean Horse 100 up in the Black Hills of South Dakota this past weekend. While many of the runners did finish the race a large portion of the DNF's could be contributed to speed issues (too slow) and nutrition (not eating enough or reguarly) or both. In a conversation with a few runners it seemed that the slow slog of their training runs turned into a slow slog on the 100 race. Hard to make up any time if you aren't used to running that speed from training.

It was a great experience even if my buddy DNF'd at mile 65. I know I'm not ready for a 100 yet but in the next couple of years perhaps. Cheers!

ilanarama

by ilanarama » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:48 pm

Is anybody else here doing the Imogene Pass Run?

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:27 am

i run all the time from cross country to 5.2 miles races. my mom was in the olympic tryouts for running but had a very bad ankle and couldn't compete

i don't run to train, its been a lifelong passion. ive run since i could walk

jimlup

by jimlup » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:48 am

I was a runner many years before I fell in love with climbing. Because of career and family I fell out of shape in the intervening years. I've used running to get myself back to reasonable shape for climbing. I have further to go and I'm really counting on my history as a runner to help me get to the fitness level I'm going to need over the next few years as a serious climber.

I'm still "racing" and enjoy it and it helps keep me interested in running but I certainly don't take racing as seriously these days.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:33 pm

Seems like just yesterday that someone was asking which SPers were going to do the Mt. Baldy Race-to-the-Top on Labor Day. It's that time again. I'm signed up. Who else here will do it?

For those not familiar with the race, it's a one-way 8-mile climb from approximately 6000' elevation to Baldy's summit at 10,064.' It's done every Labor Day. Last year, I took my camera and spent a lot of time taking photos for a TR that I did. This year, I'll skip the camera and try to get up faster. See you there.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:28 pm

bird wrote:Hey, any thoughts on "shin pain". It doesnt feel like shin splints. It's on the front about midway up the Tib, but sort of moves around. I felt it first on a "sprint" on the treadmill. I haven't been running for about two weeks and it is improving. I thought stress fracture at first, but I only run about 12 miles a week, and I lift, so I figure I have good bone density. No swelling, can push around it and not cause pain. Any thoughts?

I have trained through just about every runner injury known to man. The red flag I noticed was the mention of a tread mill. If you have any kind of leg injury, it is best to run outdoors, no matter the weather or conditions. The tread mill forces a gait that is unnatural and unforgiving, whereas your body can nurse an injury more appropriately given free will to do so. I am a huge believer in continuing to condition through injuries. This involves my belief in a variety of factors, endorphin release etc. But a tread mill can be a runners worse nightmare and can expose the slightest of imperfections.

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:31 pm

bird wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:
bird wrote:Hey, any thoughts on "shin pain". It doesnt feel like shin splints. It's on the front about midway up the Tib, but sort of moves around. I felt it first on a "sprint" on the treadmill. I haven't been running for about two weeks and it is improving. I thought stress fracture at first, but I only run about 12 miles a week, and I lift, so I figure I have good bone density. No swelling, can push around it and not cause pain. Any thoughts?

I have trained through just about every runner injury known to man. The red flag I noticed was the mention of a tread mill. If you have any kind of leg injury, it is best to run outdoors, no matter the weather or conditions. The tread mill forces a gait that is unnatural and unforgiving, whereas your body can nurse an injury more appropriately given free will to do so. I am a huge believer in continuing to condition through injuries. This involves my belief in a variety of factors, endorphin release etc. But a tread mill can be a runners worse nightmare and can expose the slightest of imperfections.

As "fitness" runner, I always assumed the treadmill was "better" or "easier" than the road. What you say makes sense. I try to run on trails, but the deer ticks are so bad here I'll end up with Lyme Disease, so I stay off the trails during the summer.
Also, I'm still working out, biking, rowing (c2) and HIIT work, just no running which I enjoy and feel like it gives me the most bang for the buck. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

I think this statement is true only if you're healthy. I've been suffering from runner's knee for years and while I used to run trails exclusively, the uneven surface really bothers my knee. In fact, the physical therapist I went to a while back expressly said that when I do try running again to do so on the treadmill.

I miss running. I used to be fast. 16:43 for a 5K. :(

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:35 pm

I am a trainer and do some work as a physical therapy aide. The P/T's I work with only use the treadmill for very specific cases, perhaps like FatDad's. For the most part they are down on the treadmill. The way it was explained to me, as the runner tires the machine tends to pull them through their stride which is very hard on the hips... For aerobics they like the eliptical machine. Personally, I am a big fan of Nordic Trak.

SkydiveKen

by SkydiveKen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:21 am

Mountain Impulse wrote:Seems like just yesterday that someone was asking which SPers were going to do the Mt. Baldy Race-to-the-Top on Labor Day. It's that time again. I'm signed up. Who else here will do it?

For those not familiar with the race, it's a one-way 8-mile climb from approximately 6000' elevation to Baldy's summit at 10,064.' It's done every Labor Day. Last year, I took my camera and spent a lot of time taking photos for a TR that I did. This year, I'll skip the camera and try to get up faster. See you there.

I'll be there.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:02 pm

miketx123,

As a former ACL (and MCL) patient, three words of advice:

Buy a bike.

It strengthens your legs without the impact, especially your inner quad and helps a lot with your flexion. My bikes have been my knees best friends for the past twenty years.

Haliku

by Haliku » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:57 pm

MikeTX wrote:Did my first 5k today, since my accident/surgery. 33 minutes :(

Oh well. I guess it's not too bad, since I'm still not even 6 mos post-op.

Congrats! Its the small steps that lead to recovery. May as well make it more interesting than running on a treadmill. Cheers!

Vic Hanson

by Vic Hanson » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:32 am

CClaude wrote:
thebeave7 wrote:
Haliku wrote:
mtn runr wrote:If you haven't already, you might want to look at UltraRunning magazine.

I didn't even know this thread was here. Not having the time to review 34+ pages what ultra running websites/boards are out there that are worth some time? I'm training for my first 50k right now--and I used to think marathon training took up too much time..HA! Cheers.

Like Haliku there are way too many pages of this tread to review, but I'll try and keep up from now on. I do a lot of running, exclusively on trails, races ranging from 10K-100milers(emphasis on the Ultras). UltraRunner Mag is a good resource and run100s.com is a great place to find races. For training tips I don't know of any ultra dedicated boards, because I've learned all my training, fueling, hydration strategies from those who preceded me. The experienced ultra runner is usually a great source of info.

A friend of mine who is an ultra runner in L.A. recommended this listserve:

http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=ultra

"ULTRA - Ultrarunning

ULTRA is a list dedicated to the sport of ultrarunning. By "ultrarunning" we mean running of a distance longer than a marathon in distance or time as well as shorter specialty races such as Escarpment, Pikes Peak ascent and Mt. Washington. The list will concentrate on matters related to ultrarunning. However, we recognize that the members of the ultrarunning community cover a wide spectrum. Some are interested solely in training and racing information, techniques and experiences. Others enjoy the more 'peripheral' areas of the sport, from ultra prose or poetry to descriptions of interesting people or scenery seen during a run or race. All those people, and all those ultra topics and many others, are welcome here."

Charles

by Charles » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:28 am

Did a x-country half marathon yesterday. Great autumn weather, a mixture of forest and farm tracks, on a pleasantly undulating course. My time of 1:57 also pleased me :D

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training