runner thread

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
peninsula

by peninsula » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:22 pm

peninsula wrote:Still suffering (mildly) from what has been diagnosed as a capsulitis of my right metatarsal-phalangeal joint of my second toe. I visited a podiatrist today... a pad he glued to the bottom of my insoles to help offload the weight from the tender area. The metatarsal pads did not seem to help all that much, so I'll give this latest effort a test and see how it goes.

Good news from this aging runner... my capsulitis is no longer a problem. It is not completely gone, but I am back up to 8 and 9 mile runs, and the only thing hurting are my muscles! For a long time, I could run with this condition, but my foot would get very tender after running. After a run, I would not be able to walk barefoot on a hard floor. I have almost no discomfort now after several months of using my modified inserts. I can feel the thickening of scar tissue in the affected area.

Carbo

by Carbo » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:00 pm

Good news Peninsula!

No marathons for me for quite a while. I havn't run a mile in weeks :(

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:48 pm

Here's a question for all you dedicated runners out there. With Daylight Savings Time about to end, we'll be running in the dark unless we're inside on a treadmill. I don't have regular access to a treadmill and would rather run outside if possible anyway. What are some ways to run in the dark successfully and safely? Do you wear a headlamp to run, run on lighted roads, or both? I'll be running out on country roads with little traffic but with no lights. Any advice?

JonW

by JonW » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:54 pm

Yeah, I've heard of people who run with headlamps. I would definitely get a reflective vest or jacket. Have you considered running during lunch?

Ed F

by Ed F » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:03 pm

Here's a question for all you dedicated runners out there. With Daylight Savings Time about to end, we'll be running in the dark unless we're inside on a treadmill. I don't have regular access to a treadmill and would rather run outside if possible anyway. What are some ways to run in the dark successfully and safely? Do you wear a headlamp to run, run on lighted roads, or both? I'll be running out on country roads with little traffic but with no lights. Any advice?

I often wind up doing a run near or after dusk as the days get shorter this time of year. I have a loop of reflective tape that I throw over one shoulder, and I have a really light headlamp that does a good job of alterting traffic (and providing light when it gets too dark to see well). To be safe, I usually run areas I know will have little traffic, and I always run into traffic and step off the road and stop when a car comes.

no avatar
jniehof

by jniehof » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:02 pm

I have the advantage of being able to run on sidewalk or sidepath for my whole route. I wear my hiking headlamp, clip a small Planet Bike blinkie to my CamelBak (although it's on solid), and wear reflective ankle bands.

Carbo

by Carbo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:58 pm

independent wrote: running during lunch?

That is what I used to do.

klwagar

by klwagar » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:23 pm

I run at night and wear a headlamp and a flashing red magnetic light on my back. Including the usual reflective stuff. Works so far.

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Carbo wrote:

I might be able to do that if I have more than just 20 minutes that teachers get for lunch. :shock:

Carbo

by Carbo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:45 pm

->speed workout :)

You don't you have any longer breaks between classes/lectures during the day?

b.

by b. » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:47 pm

I bought one of those bd ion headlamps for running around town. I gives off just enough light to make drivers wonder what the hell you are and pay a little more attention. I joined a gym last winter just for the treadmill, though. The local gold's does 99 days for $99 around the holidays and it worked out perfect for me.

RickF

by RickF » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:48 am

I run before work in the pre-dawn hours. One of the many benefits of living in Southern California are the thousands of miles of lighted streets throughout the suburban sprawl.

no avatar
BSinc

by BSinc » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:15 am

IagosGhost wrote:
Carbo wrote:

I might be able to do that if I have more than just 20 minutes that teachers get for lunch. :shock:

most of the teachers I know that run do it in the afternoon after school lets out

Chris

by Chris » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:10 pm

I prefer a handheld light, but do 100% of my running on dirt trails... I'm concerned with only seeing where I'm going, not with being seen.

Handheld offers better depth of vision for obstacles in the trail. Headlamps tend to make things really flat and hard to see.

I'm currently using a Gerber LX3.0 3watt LED handheld. It's pretty sweet, but if I was in the market now, I'd take a serious look at the Fenix brand.

About 1/2 of my running is in the dark, year round.

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training