Transport from Aconcagua to Mercedario area

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Darek

Transport from Aconcagua to Mercedario area

by Darek » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Hello,

I have a question related to transport from Aconcagua area to Mercedario. I would prefer not to go from Puente del Inca to Barreal through Mendoza and San Juan as it is rather long way.

1. Is it possible to find some transport from Upsallata (or Aconcagua area) to Barreal? Bus? Hitchhiking? Taxi? How much would it cost?
2. Are there some supermarkets in Barreal to buy some simple dried food (couscous, dried soya, raisins, porridge for infants, 1-minute soups)?

Regards,
Darek

hikerman99

by hikerman99 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:12 pm

The only bus to Barreal comes through San Juan. I'd say there is probably about one vehicle per hour on the road from Upsallata to Barreal. You could give hitchhiking at try.

The young guys at the link below can do transportation, including to Mercedario itself. They also have a quiet hostel in Barreal.
http://www.ansiltaturismo.com.ar/

There is not anything I would call a supermarket in Barreal. More like oversized minimarkets, a small bakery, etc. I don't buy dried foods so I did pay any attention to whether they have that.

Cheers,
Bob

Corax

Re: Transport from Aconcagua to Mercedario area

by Corax » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Darek wrote:Hello,
1. Is it possible to find some transport from Upsallata (or Aconcagua area) to Barreal? Bus? Hitchhiking? Taxi? How much would it cost?
2. Are there some supermarkets in Barreal to buy some simple dried food (couscous, dried soya, raisins, porridge for infants, 1-minute soups)?

1. I have hitched this road a couple of times and it's very easy. Not so many cars, but from my experiences I've always been picked up quickly.

2. All the basics can be bought there. Dried soya - didn't see any, but didn't look for it either. Couscous - not sure. The rest - yes. I would do the shopping in Uspallata though.
Two reasons for this: The shops are slightly better and bigger in Usp. and I can continue hitching straight for the Mercedario area without even visiting Barreal. The turnoff is a bit out of the town before you arrive.

no avatar
Darek

by Darek » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks for replies!
What about hitching to Mercedario from Barreal (or reverse direction): I didn't know it would be possible. Where are such cars usually heading to from Barreal? There is nothing but mountains on my map...
How difficult is it to catch something from Mercedario? From Laguna Blanca (the road is open according to SP and expedition operator's web-pages) or should we go down to El Molle? Maybe there is some place where chances to catch something increase (Santa Ana? some mine between?)
Cheers,
Darek

Corax

by Corax » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:32 am

Darek wrote:What about hitching to Mercedario from Barreal (or reverse direction): I didn't know it would be possible. Where are such cars usually heading to from Barreal? There is nothing but mountains on my map...
How difficult is it to catch something from Mercedario? From Laguna Blanca (the road is open according to SP and expedition operator's web-pages) or should we go down to El Molle? Maybe there is some place where chances to catch something increase (Santa Ana? some mine between?)
Darek

I think almost all vehicles heading there are working with the mines. We had no trouble at all getting out of the area. The first vehicle stopped, gave us a ride to Barreal and when there the driver asked if we wanted to come along to Uspallata. He didn't want any money in return, but we gave him some for the fuel costs.
It's a very desolate road and if you start walking out from Barreal hitching, make sure you bring a lot of water as it's extremely dry. Further up the road, you'll have huge river running along the road where you can get water. It's a bit muddy, but drinkable.
One may be lucky or unlucky, but my experiences hitching in remote have been very good. Most cars stop as the drivers understand you need a ride as there are so few chances to get a hitch.

William Marler

by William Marler » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Both times I have been I hired a driver through the people at Andesmar. There may be a bus service on certain days from mendoza. Check with Claudia Yanzon at Andesmar in Mendoza.

Return to South America