Backpacking through the Dolomites

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Granto

Backpacking through the Dolomites

by Granto » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:40 am

Hey,
I am planning a few hikes through the Dolomites this fall, due to my class schedules I am not able to get there till the last week in October. I understand that alot if not all of the higher altitude huts will be closed down. Is there camp sites near these rifugios? I have read that camping is not allowed but I have been unable to find any "legal" campsites high in the mountains. I have also read that there are winter huts open for shelter but do not have any food or other luxuries. Is this correct? Any help on these or other issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks Alot

Grant

Moni

by Moni » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:47 pm

If Italian huts work like Swiss ones, then huts which are open but have no warden will only supply you with a place to sleep (including blankets and pillows) and cooking facilities (usually includes some type of stove, fuel, pots and pans, etc.) You have to bring your own food to cook. There is some sort of payment system in place to pay for the use of the facilities.

Not sure about camping near closed huts - that probably varies by hut location.

Much of the Dolomites are easily accessible from the road, so camping in a regular campground down low and day hiking up high is very doable. There are lifts that shorten the approach as well.

Granto

by Granto » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Hey

Thanks alot both of you for the useful information. I am a photographer so shooting till dark and shooting at sun-up are on my itinerary so that would work out nicely. Thanks again for the info on winter rooms.

Grant

Return to Europe