Mission Gorge Accident

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
mbmsfreerider

Mission Gorge Accident

by mbmsfreerider » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:07 am

I was climbing at mission Gorge yesterday and saw someone get airlifted out. It was wierd because I was in the Chimney when I first heard the helicopter and then at the top of a climb when it was circling at my height. I have no idea if it was a climber but I tend to think it was. The firetruck was at the climbers trail and I couldnt see but I'm guessing the heli lifted someone out at the cliff. Unless someone was hiking and fell down the hill or something I think a climber mustve fallen. Mission Gorge is kinda known for newbies who have no idea how to safely climb.
Does anyone have any more info on this?
I couldnt find anything online or on the news

DanielWade

by DanielWade » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:54 pm

I wouldn't be surprised. You're totally right about the newb factor out there. I've seen people do really stupid shit there like using one quickdraw for a TR anchor or TRing directly off the fixed rap rings WTF! Don't even get me started on backclipping! I've never seen anyone sport climbing out there who knew how to clip correctly. It feels like an outdoor gym sometimes. Legitimate accidents can happen too, gear fails and people fall so who knows what really happened.

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:13 pm

Whatever happened I hope they are alright. I saw a guy sitting down in flip flops to belay. And 2 guys next to me laughed when I said "belay on". A group of college guys were waliing around and said they were looking at what gear they thought they would need to climb...They said so far they decided a rope and harness was necessary. They said it sarcastically but i still get the feeling they planned on buying some gear and saying "lets go for it and see what happens". I'm all for people trying it out but so many people don't understand how important all the safety gear and skills are. I am pretty new to climbing. I've actually only been to mission gorge about 4 or 5 times but i took classes and read every book i could about climbing safely before trying it for real.
Its good to see the groups there that are teaching the commands and belaying and stuff. only downside to that is that they tend to take up 3 or 4 routes for hours or the whole day.
I looked online again and I can't find anything about the acident so I just hope they are ok.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:11 am

mbmsfreerider wrote:Whatever happened I hope they are alright. I saw a guy sitting down in flip flops to belay. And 2 guys next to me laughed when I said "belay on". A group of college guys were waliing around and said they were looking at what gear they thought they would need to climb...They said so far they decided a rope and harness was necessary. They said it sarcastically but i still get the feeling they planned on buying some gear and saying "lets go for it and see what happens". I'm all for people trying it out but so many people don't understand how important all the safety gear and skills are. I am pretty new to climbing. I've actually only been to mission gorge about 4 or 5 times but i took classes and read every book i could about climbing safely before trying it for real.
Its good to see the groups there that are teaching the commands and belaying and stuff. only downside to that is that they tend to take up 3 or 4 routes for hours or the whole day.
I looked online again and I can't find anything about the acident so I just hope they are ok.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make in this post, but what's your beef with flip flops?

Denjem

by Denjem » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:21 pm

if you are new to climbing, get used to route hording and no consideration for the the people around other parties at the gorge. Welcome to the city.

HeyItsBen

by HeyItsBen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:17 am

Anyone have any updated info on this accident?

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Denjem wrote:if you are new to climbing, get used to route hording and no consideration for the the people around other parties at the gorge. Welcome to the city.

Denjem..... Come on up to Malibu Creek..... many many friendly climbers there. Most will offer you a ride on their Top Ropes.

So are those "horders", guides?

Do you ask to run a root?

It's the custom to let you do so.

If they refuse to let you, start screaming.

:wink:

alleyehave

by alleyehave » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:24 am

I work for SDFD and looked up the dispatch info. There was a response to MG on 10/24/2009 at 11:34:39...Although you said the previous day from your post which would make it 10/25, the story coincides..

Between the dispatch info and the info I got from the Fire medic assigned to one of the fire engines on the call, apparently someone(not confirmed as a climber) fell approx. 3' feet from a rock and possibly suffered a head injury, whether it was a random hiker/scrambler, or a climber, again unconfirmed.

The helicopter picked her off approx. 1/8th up from one of the climbing areas. They placed the patient in c-spine as a precaution, the patient was airlifted a very short distance to a landing zone with an ambulance/fire engine. My buddy said that the patient appeared to be in a very stable status and not in any immediate or obvious danger.

Had it been more serious, the patient would have been flown straight to the trauma center at Sharp Memorial, more than likely....

So anywho, hope that helps...take care

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:59 pm

alleyehave wrote: apparently someone(not confirmed as a climber) fell approx. 3' feet from a rock and possibly suffered a head injury

"Screamer of the year" ...... :wink:

Return to California