Checking a bouldering pad on a flight

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
uwjennie

Checking a bouldering pad on a flight

by uwjennie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:47 am

Hey all - I'm trying to figure out how to check a bouldering pad on flight to Europe. Any suggestions on how to get it there? I got the word from United that it will be $400 since it's "oversize".

Traveling boulderers do you you have any suggestions for me?

Jennie

no avatar
nhluhr

Re: Checking a bouldering pad on a flight

by nhluhr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:04 am

uwjennie wrote:Hey all - I'm trying to figure out how to check a bouldering pad on flight to Europe. Any suggestions on how to get it there? I got the word from United that it will be $400 since it's "oversize".

Jennie
sounds like you should fly another airline that doesn't gouge on luggage...

or at that price, just buy a pad in europe.

uwjennie

by uwjennie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:18 am

Thanks - but neither of those things are an option. I also have tickets on Air France in the near future and it appears that they have the same policy.

I'm looking for a strategy from a boulderer who actually got their stuff on a plane. Hopefully without paying the excess fee.

Jennie

rlshattuck

there's gotta be a few generous europeans that . . .

by rlshattuck » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:16 am

. . . might let you borrow a pad. what's your real deal with needing to take your own?

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:30 am

try UPS or DHL. Sure to be cheaper - if you really must have your own pad with you.

no avatar
Up2zmtns

by Up2zmtns » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:58 pm

I once saw a video online someplace with a solution, though I've never actually done it.

It basically consisted of removing the cover from the inner foam of your pad, and rolling the foam tightly, allowing it to be stored in a medium duffel. Once you arrive at your destination you must wet the pad cover, making it stretchy enough to replace the foam. This of course requires a pad that isn't sewn on all sides and will give your pad foam a little curve for a few days.

Otherwise, mailing a big pad cross country (TN to CO) cost me ~$70, international couldn't be too much more. Definitely cheaper than $400 :shock:

Also, you could probably make a friend on this site or another to boulder with in your destination, which is always the cheapest method.

Good luck. :D

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:45 pm

You have the $$$ to fly to and travel around Europe but don't have the money to purchase a pad while you're there? Really?

Of course, you can always do what folks did before the advent of pads--boulder without one. If you're going to the Font, that's a legit option since the landings are pretty sandy.

eliassegovia

Re: Checking a bouldering pad on a flight

by eliassegovia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:59 pm

nhluhr wrote:
uwjennie wrote:Hey all - I'm trying to figure out how to check a bouldering pad on flight to Europe. Any suggestions on how to get it there? I got the word from United that it will be $400 since it's "oversize".

Jennie
sounds like you should fly another airline that doesn't gouge on luggage...

or at that price, just buy a pad in europe.

No longer a possibility. Everyone is charging now for everything. Now you can only take 1, yes, 1 piece of luggage free of charge on international flights having to pay for the 2nd. And domestic flights, as you know, have been charging for a year now for even the 1st piece. Check for yoursleves what carring skies for example is going to cost you from now on...

Bunch of bastards

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:37 am

Up2zmtns wrote:Otherwise, mailing a big pad cross country (TN to CO) cost me ~$70, international couldn't be too much more. Definitely cheaper than $400 :shock:

Except it sounds like she would have to bring it back again, so that's two international shipments. If shipping 2x domestic is $140, it could easily be a few-hundred bucks for 2x international, depending on which country. And some countries might even charge a substantial duty tax on the shipment, if the receiver can't convince customs of the true nature of the shipment -- that it's just an item being used for travel and not something being imported.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Just don't forget your toothbrush. 8)

Return to Gear