Down Jacket with Hood

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:54 pm

dskoon wrote:
WouterB wrote:Just bought an alpkit down jacket with hood from alpkitfor € 85.

That looks pretty sweet, and fairly cheap?? Why so cheap?

They use their customers and forum to determine what they need (hence no costs for research). They go to China, test the materials and buy a limited supply. They sell all this via the internet, again, cheap. Usually you have to wait a while before you get your stuff, as they have huge waiting lists. But everything gets sold, so no extra costs their either.

I get the jacket on friday and I'll do a full product report a.s.a.p. but all I've read this far was very positive.

no avatar
CASummit

by CASummit » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:14 pm

Went to my local REI to check out some down and synthetic jackets to compare. I tried on the REI antifreeze II (700 fill) which seemed nice overall. There really weren't any others with a hood in that particular to compare it to. I then tried on TNF Redpoint Optimus (similar price) synthetic jacket. The redpoint optimus seemed like it was good quality but it was hard to tell how warm it would be. Obviously being a synthetic it had far less loft than the down jacket but I've heard synthetics can still be pretty warm. For use mostly in good weather in socal mountains / Sierra Nevada (occassionally during stormy weather) should I opt for the down jacket or will the redpoint optimus provide adequate warmth? Also, I'm not sold on these particular jackets, they are just the two that I tried on to compare down vs. synthetic.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:44 pm

CASummit wrote:Went to my local REI to check out some down and synthetic jackets to compare. I tried on the REI antifreeze II (700 fill) which seemed nice overall. There really weren't any others with a hood in that particular to compare it to. I then tried on TNF Redpoint Optimus (similar price) synthetic jacket. The redpoint optimus seemed like it was good quality but it was hard to tell how warm it would be. Obviously being a synthetic it had far less loft than the down jacket but I've heard synthetics can still be pretty warm. For use mostly in good weather in socal mountains / Sierra Nevada (occassionally during stormy weather) should I opt for the down jacket or will the redpoint optimus provide adequate warmth? Also, I'm not sold on these particular jackets, they are just the two that I tried on to compare down vs. synthetic.

Hmmm. Imo, depends a bit on what you want them for, ie, warmth vs. versatility. I"d be tempted to go for the Redpoint optimus for what you described. However, I don't think it's super warm, just warm enough for on-the-go adventures. The Rei is probably a little warmer, but, . . . I used to work there and am suspect of all of their down products. I think they skimp on their fill. Just my opinion. I have a friend who has the Generator, couple years old, and likes it well, but that one has a bit more fill than the Antifreeze, I do believe. And, maybe their coats(and bags), are better than a couple years ago. Still suspect though.
As you mentioned, there are many to choose from, all pretty good. Check out the Mnt. Hardwear Compressor. Very nice synthetic. OR, as well. All pretty good. Good luck.

kheegster

by kheegster » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Assuming you're sticking to Californian mountains, the DAS, Sub-Zero etc are likely overkill. Checkout the MontBell Ultra-Light parkas, which come in down and synthetic versions. Ridiculously light and top notch quality as well.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:36 pm

RAB Neutrino. Love it.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:51 pm

My Neutrino Endurance is stupid warm. I'm a bit concerned how it'll block wind - I'll report back after Mt. Washinton in a couple weeks.

WouterB

by WouterB » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Just got my alpkit jacket. Looks pretty damn sweet, fits like a glove and I'm guessing it'll do great in a week (Alps).

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:20 am

Autoxfil wrote:My Neutrino Endurance is stupid warm. I'm a bit concerned how it'll block wind - I'll report back after Mt. Washinton in a couple weeks.

No issues whatsoever with the wind on Mammoth today with this puffy. Just a masterpiece, especially since it came in see-from-space orange. :shock:

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:08 pm

No, it's extremely minimalist. One interior pocket, external hand pockets, and sewn-through construction.

Incredible down, though. The tubes are FAT.

AlanH

by AlanH » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:09 am

Redpoint jacket from The North Face is the way to go, eh... Literally a lifesaver on insanely windy ridges. I cruise around with a t-shirt underneath in single digits. Insulates perfectly even in warmer 40+ degree weather.

Solid product form their "Summit Series."

Previous

Return to Gear