Cobras - Changing Adze to Hammer?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
DAS

Cobras - Changing Adze to Hammer?

by DAS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:36 pm

I just bought a pair of BD Cobra ice axes (both adze) - I haven't received them yet but I am wondering if I can change out the adze for a hammer without having to exchange the whole tool. Anyone know if BD sells a replacement hammer I can just swap out? I've looked online but only found a replacement hammer sold in Canada and not specifically for the Cobras. Also wondering if the manual will have replacement parts listed....

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:46 pm

I wanted to do the opposite (hammer to adze) and was told I just had to buy the adze separately but that it was no problem. In the end, I decided I was fine with two hammers, though, so I didn't investigate any further.

At the back of the tool, there is a big screw that you can loosen to replace the hammer/adze, just like you do for the pick. It takes 5 seconds.

Oh, and you are going to love those tools :)

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Black Diamond ice tools (with the exception of the venom) all have interchangeable picks, hammers, adzes, etc. There are even mini-versions of the hammer and adze. You should be able to order a hammer from BD or from any of the many retailers that carry their stuff. You might also want to contact their customer support directly - I've had good luck with them.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Black Diamond sells them directly. Moosejaw has them, as does Backcountry.

The heads interchange between all the tools. You can buy a blank head for serious mixed climbing, a micro adze or hammer like come on the new Cobras and Vipers, or the older style heavy hammer and adze.

I have the old style Cobras, and I bought a standard hammer to replace my adze. It was 20% off at EMS, but I don't see it on their page now.

Return to Gear