Hiking in Eatern Europe

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
visentin

Re: Hiking in Eatern Europe

by visentin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:07 am

AnnaWP wrote:Hi guys, I was looking for some advice about trekking in Eastern Europe. Myself and 3 friends are planning on a trip this June/July. We have all trekked before and want to do a challenging walk but nothing too technical (odd bit of easy scrambling ok) and nothing above the snowline. We are thinking of the Carpathian/Tatras mountains but finding it difficult to get info on them. We are students so are on a tight budget. Can you camp? What are the huts like and how much are they? How much is food/can you self cater? Any books/websites recommended for route planning? Cheers,

Hello Anna,
I think you will not be short in advices, since there is a certain amount of folks on SP from many of those countries. Tatras can be a good choice. Check also if you have cheap flights to Slovenia (really good place, amazing mountains), or also possibly Romania (Brasov area) or Bulgaria (Pilin/Rila, fine too).
About the Tatras: Camping: is strictly forbidden by the national park rules of both countries (PL/SK). But the huts are reasonnably cheap. You can spend a night for about 7/8€. The bad thing is that they tend to be overcrowded during week ends and holidays, so plan a mattress and a sleeping bag. Well, not all of them, but we can tell you which to avoid. The good thing is that the network is so dense, and they all serve food, so you can afford not carrying too much food along. A meal is about 5€
The best site in which you will find most complete information in English remains (without any chauvinism)... Summitpost !
Have a look to this page and all the peak pages related (left pannel):
http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/15 ... atras.html
Check also the Western Tatras group (Tatras are in two halfs) :
http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/18 ... atras.html
If you need any help in planning your trip, just let us know how much time you have for it, and I'm sure many suggestions will be posted here. Please also indicate if you have already planned to see one of the two countries in particular, or from where you will fly and arrive. (from UK, there are convenient flights both to Cracow in Poland, or Poprad in Slovakia)
Eric

sascha

by sascha » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:29 am

I would also recommend chain: Slovenia-Croatia-Bosnia-Montenegro-Albania depending on your available time.

peterbud

by peterbud » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:39 pm

Welcome. It also depends what are you looking for. If you're seeking wilderness, then the Eastern and Southern Carpathians, as well as the Balkans are for you. If you prefer less adventure and more services, then head for Slovenia/Poland/Slovakia. BTW, there's a general overview of the Carpathians here, with several further links.

visentin

by visentin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:00 pm

AnnaWP wrote:Thanks guys. I think Eastern Europe would be our preferred destination. Is there anywhere in the mountains that you can camp? Trouble is the exchange rate with the pound is so bad at the moment that we'd much rather self cater and camp at least for some of the time!

Unfortunately in most destinations mentionned before, camping is forbidden (more precisely, in national parks camping is forbidden). In Tatras I would't risk it, you can be severely fined and they do control. I think the same applies for Slovenia in the Triglav National park (but not out of it). Romania, I wouldn't camp too much as well, because this time of bears. THe lower ranges like Beskidy, etc are remaining, but they are low mountains.
If you really cannot afford going anywhere without beeing able to wildcamp may I suggest you to give the Pyrenees a try, despite it's not eastern Europe. There are a bunch of non-guarded huts and shelters open to hikers, which, even more, avoids the fuss of carrying a tent.

peterbud

by peterbud » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:53 pm

visentin wrote:Unfortunately in most destinations mentionned before, camping is forbidden (more precisely, in national parks camping is forbidden).

Even more precisely, camping regulations differ from place to place. In Romania, there are plenty of locations where camping is allowed even within NP-s.

visentin wrote:In Tatras I would't risk it, you can be severely fined and they do control.

Agreed.

visentin wrote:Romania, I wouldn't camp too much as well, because this time of bears.

Although there are places where I wouldn't recommend it (especially the mountains of the Carpathian Bend), most areas are safe to camp. I've camped several times in Retezat, Rodnei and Padis (and even in Hargita, which is the most densely populated with bears) without any problem.

Cy Kaicener

Hiking in Eastern Europe

by Cy Kaicener » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Here is a website you might find useful
http://en.hribi.net

yatsek

by yatsek » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:06 am

Hi Anna,

If I were you, I'd have a look at my pages :) (besides the main Carpathian page), and I'd start with the article I've just written.
But I think Visentin is right - the Pyrenees (and the mts of Spain) seem like a reasonable choice for a Briton as well.

Jacek

Return to Europe