Bonus peaks near Alta Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
lakenyon

Bonus peaks near Alta Peak

by lakenyon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:41 pm

Some random questions about early-spring peakbagging in the Alta Peak area:

- What's the traverse from Winter Alta (Pk 11328') to Alta to Pk 10561' like (scrambling difficulty, fun-value, etc.)? I was thinking of ascending via Pear Lake (or possibly Moose Lake), then descending the the ridge SW of Aster Lake...but I'm not sure about the nature of the ridge between Alta and Pk 10561'.
- Is Big Bird Peak worthwhile?
- Has anyone followed a cross-country route from Alta to Silliman via Lake 10554' and the Kings-Kaweah Divide?
- Any other recommended obscure peaks in the area?

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:52 am

Nice to meet you and Naomi at Pear Lake on Saturday evening Lee :)

I think I saw you two heading up to Alta this morning as I was on my way down. Hope you all had fun. What a great day -

Summit views

Unfortunately after looking through my pics I just realized that I signed in with the wrong date :oops:

Should be the 28th

:mrgreen:

Bascuela

by Bascuela » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 am

Black K looking good.

mrchad9

Re: Bonus peaks near Alta Peak

by mrchad9 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:42 pm

lakenyon wrote:- What's the traverse from Winter Alta (Pk 11328') to Alta to Pk 10561' like (scrambling difficulty, fun-value, etc.)? I was thinking of ascending via Pear Lake (or possibly Moose Lake), then descending the the ridge SW of Aster Lake...but I'm not sure about the nature of the ridge between Alta and Pk 10561'.

In January 2008 we had planned to traverse Winter Alta to Alta, but after getting up winter Alta and seeing what getting around the point just south was like- it wasn't even an option. We only had MSR snowshoes... no crampons or axe. Even with them in the conditions we saw it'd have been very challenging. I have some good pics but on my home computer- send me a note if you'd like them.

We went back January 2009 and got Alta the easy way.

Return to California