Lost climbers on Shasta updates

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:46 pm

PellucidWombat -- once again, peace to you, and to Tom.

Many of us have a pretty good idea what took Tom to the afterlife. I'd say with fair certainty that after the first symptoms struck, there were a few hours (at most) left. Given conditions, there is nothing more that you, or anyone, could have done.

no avatar
DJFLIX2009

by DJFLIX2009 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:56 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with both of your families and friends..

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Pellucid Wombat is one of SP's own, and he's been a member of this community for a long time now. Many SP folks have climbed with Mark and have enjoyed the mountains with him. Beyond any doubt, Mark is certainly worthy of the support shown here at the SP community. His character, experience and ability are well known and beyond reproach. There is no doubt Mark executed all of his actions in this matter to the best of his ability given the circumstances, and he relied on his experience and training to take the best action possible.

Speaking on behalf of the staff, we extend our condolences to all involved and mourn the loss of Tom to his family, friends and to his partner, Mark, and we share in the grief of this very difficult time. We also extend our deepest thanks to the SAR teams involved.

It's wonderful to see such strong support for Mark in our climbing community, which makes SP great and beyond compare. The people here are outstanding! Please continue to reassure Mark and let him know he has the support of the SP community.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:19 pm

r44 wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:PellucidWombat -- once again, peace to you, and to Tom.

Many of us have a pretty good idea what took Tom to the afterlife. I'd say with fair certainty that after the first symptoms struck, there were a few hours (at most) left. Given conditions, there is nothing more that you, or anyone, could have done.

There may have even been an underlying health issue. When I had altitude sickness on shasta and about lost it, there was an underlying health issuet hat I had no idea about. I was lucky to be able to return to camp mostly on my own... Hang in there...

I think you may be right. While not impossible, it doesn't sound very likely a fit and acclimated climber like Tom would deteriorate that fast.

cleopatra

by cleopatra » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 pm

I am filled with sorrow...

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:00 am

Very sorry to hear of this outcome.
My thoughts go out to you, Mark, and to Tom's family. My condolences.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:28 am

Very sad indeed. My thoughts go out to you Mark and my condolences to Tom's family and friends.

Ammon Hatch

by Ammon Hatch » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:41 am

I would also like to add my voice and echo the sentiments here. My support and condolences to Mark, Tom's family, and anyone who was close to him. Everyone here understands the risks we take, you're among your people.

johnm

by johnm » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:48 am

Ammon Hatch wrote:I would also like to add my voice and echo the sentiments here. My support and condolences to Mark, Tom's family, and anyone who was close to him. Everyone here understands the risks we take, you're among your people.

Well spoken + 1

Deltaoperator17

by Deltaoperator17 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:11 am

Mark, and Tom Bennett's family and all of those concerned: My hope is that in time, you will receive comfort for your loss.

Mark- Sounds like you did everything you could under extreme conditions.

dunsum

by dunsum » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:19 am

Very sorry to hear of this sad news. To Mark, and to the friends and family of both Mark and Tom - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Cascade Scrambler

by Cascade Scrambler » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

I know neither of the guys or the families, but my condolences all the same. Mark went above and beyond. Love and respect to Mark, Tom, their families, the rescuers, and the families of the rescuers. Additionally, I second what Ammon Hatch had to say. You're with people who know and understand.

connollyck

by connollyck » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:25 am

Cascade Scrambler wrote:I know neither of the guys or the families, but my condolences all the same. Mark went above and beyond. Love and respect to Mark, Tom, their families, the rescuers, and the families of the rescuers. Additionally, I second what Ammon Hatch had to say. You're with people who know and understand.

+1

Garfimi

by Garfimi » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:31 am

Ammon Hatch wrote:I would also like to add my voice and echo the sentiments here. My support and condolences to Mark, Tom's family, and anyone who was close to him. Everyone here understands the risks we take, you're among your people.

+1

PreviousNext

Return to California