Hiking the Alp di Siusi-Catinaccio, S. Tirol, Italy,

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mvs

Re: Hiking the Alp di Siusi-Catinaccio, S. Tirol, Italy,

by mvs » Tue May 04, 2010 8:22 pm

cjocell wrote:This is just a hiking question. I'm trying to find pictures or website photos of the trail section between Rif. Alpe Di Tires and Rif. Vaiolet. I'm concerned about the passes, Passo Molignon and Passo Principe. I know there are assisted sections but haven't been able to find any views of the exposed or steep parts. Our plans are to start at Compaccio in the Alp di Siusi, overnight at Rif. Bolzano, 2nd overnight at Rif. Vaiolet. Hike out to Viga di Fassa and bus back to Castelrotto. 3 Days total. Does this sound feasable?

Hi, I don't have a real answer for you, but I've done lots of hiking in the Dolomites, some multiday hikes too, and generally these passes are just fine. The bits of assistance will be something like a chain to grab on an exposed trail. Usually there is no need to touch them at all, you just walk by. Where they come in handy is if there is snow in early or late season.

Trails are indeed exposed, but this is more exhilarating than scary unless you have some special concerns.

In general, a multi-day hike in the Dolomites is an extremely rewarding way to spend a few days. Don't miss it! :)

Return to Europe