Tirol itinerary

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
nickw1

Tirol itinerary

by nickw1 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi,

This is related to a number of other posts (including an older one of mine), but I now want to get more specific and choose a shortlist of 3 to 5 peaks (depending on weather) to do during a two-week trip to the Tirol in July. Am looking for 3000+, or just short of 3000m with a good climb from the valley, and ideally a bit of scrambling (up to Grade II) but no glacier travel. Nice views from the top would be good too!

I'm thinking of spending some time in the Zillertal and some in the Oetztal/Stubaital area and from doing a bit of research some or all of the following peaks look worth considering:
* Ahornspitze
* Kreuzspitze
* Hohe Geige
* Habicht
* Schrankogel

Hochwilde and Hochfeiler look interesting but only doable from the Italian side which would add to travel time and complicate the logistics as I'm aiming to base myself in Zillertal, Oetztal and/or Stubaital.

Does this sound a good plan? As I've mentioned already, I have had some experience with high, by European/US standards (2500-4000m) altitude hiking before e.g. Pikes Peak, Summit County (Colorado), Weissmies (roped-up, group of three) and Watzmann (Hocheck only, due to weather)

Thanks,
Nick

mvs

Re: Tirol itinerary

by mvs » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:37 pm

I think that sounds pretty good. At least I know the Habicht and Schrankogel would be excellent hike/scrambles. Gee, since you are limiting the technical grade to scrambling, the most fun endeavor might be to link up many of these scrambles with a through hike of the Zillertal and then Stubai ranges.

Return to Europe