Team Forced to Leave Blinded Climber on Everest descent

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:04 am

Damien Gildea wrote:Quite fitting that you would suggest a liar and fraud like Kropp to try and support your argument. His book was pulped due to it's false claims. No way on earth was he 'unsupported' or solo on his Everest climb, even he admitted that. He 'proved' nothing except the power of media and PR over the ignorant.

You gotta factual source to support this claim Damien.
Last edited by The Chief on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 am

Because of the laws and gov't permit req in place, which the tourism Big Mtn game has well established, porters are a requirement throughout that region. Jonny Copp shared how they were required on all their incredible climbs throughout the region, that they were not allowed to shuttle any of their gear.

Once porters carried their stuff to and they established a BC, they were allowed as were several others in the past 15 years, House/Anderson, Middendorf/Bognard etc, to get on and establish their incredible and some of the hardest lines ever attempted on this planet. Not one had any Sherpa support what so ever. These few hardasses did the deal all on their own. Fact.
ImageImage
Last edited by The Chief on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 am

I just want to drop in and thank the Chief for making SP a fun place again. No matter how much you know, the Chief knows more. Fact. No matter how much bullshit you can pull out of your ass, the Chief can pull out more. Fact. Thanks for the good times. Without you, my days in the cubical are a living hell.

I wonder if the Chief has ever been higher than 14,505 feet?

What you know is what you know. What you don't know is what you don't know. What you know about what you don't know can be confusing.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:51 am

The Chief wrote:Once porters carried their stuff to and they established a BC, they were allowed as were several others in the past 15 years, House/Anderson, Middendorf/Bognard etc, to get on and establish their incredible and some of the hardest lines ever attempted on this planet. Not one had any Sherpa support what so ever. These few hardasses did the deal all on their own. Fact.

Hmm..."Once porters carried their stuff in"? Furthermore, you can't compare the types of climbs these high level alpinists attempted with Everest Chief.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 am

The Chief wrote:Image

Unrelated, but isn't there a lot of discussion that these two died on that Chinese Mountain because of the media pressure and their tragic effort to film their first ascent with a handheld camera?

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:01 am

The Chief wrote:You gotta factual source to support this claim Damien.

Yes, I do. Have you suddenly developed a hitherto unknown affection for fact and truth? :lol:

Did you remove the rest of your previous post because:
- Copp et al used a local driver and local cook on that trip, thus proving my point
- it was not an 8000m peak, which I specified in my previous post, thus proving my point
- you once again reproduced someone else's photo to make a claim that was clearly untrue?

Reading your posts in this thread Rick is like watching the drunk, drugf#%ked driver in one of those police-chase videos, careening from mishap to mishap, running off the road, going the wrong way down streets, hitting people, screaming incohrent abuse at strangers, and driving on - but ultimately just one long, slow, car crash ...

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:04 am

SoCalHiker wrote:
The Chief wrote:Image

Unrelated, but isn't there a lot of discussion that these two died on that Chinese Mountain because of the media pressure and their tragic effort to film their first ascent with a handheld camera?

Not according to Jonny's site and postings prior to the avalanche. They were doing the film deal on their own accord.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:05 am

Damien Gildea wrote:
The Chief wrote:You gotta factual source to support this claim Damien.

Yes, I do.

Post it up!

Amazing how you Damien demean the dudes I use as examples that are all now DEAD.

Read Copps writings and see for yourselves what can in fact be done without the aid of the Big Mountain Expedition Machine.

http://www.coppworks.com/climbing.htm
Last edited by The Chief on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:10 am

Gary Schenk wrote: So my stubborn side is still waiting for the Chief to answer the question about Norman Clyde.

How many Gary?

Amazing how when shit hit the fan in the Sierra during his tenure and people were lost, who'd they instantly call to go save their asses?

And Kevin, let's not go there. The descent tactics two years ago in Palisades, which I and two of my clients observed from down below in total disbelief at what was occurring right before our eyes, were clearly not the brightest that one would want to be known publicly. Thankfully, no one was injured more seriously than they were. Know what I am talking about....Kevin?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 am

Gary Schenk wrote:
The Chief wrote:
Gary Schenk wrote: So my stubborn side is still waiting for the Chief to answer the question about Norman Clyde.

How many Gary?

Two.

Names.

I know of one that insisted on going his own way while on the Matterhorn Couloir and ended up busting his ass after Norm gave him the option to leave on his own.

Brower fired his ass after that incident.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:31 am

And... please cite the particular incident where Norm abandoned Dulley.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 am

The Chief wrote:

How many Gary?

Amazing how when shit hit the fan in the Sierra during his tenure and people were lost, who'd they instantly call to go save their asses?

And Kevin, let's not go there. The descent tactics two years ago in Palisades, which I and two of my clients observed from down below in total disbelief at what was occurring right before our eyes, were clearly not the brightest that one would want to be known publicly. Thankfully, no one was injured more seriously than they were. Know what I am talking about....Kevin?

why were you and your clients in disbelief? we were a big group in a small chute with a lot of loose rocks. we tried to keep it together but couldn't. it was clearly not the brightest idea. it is made public. :D

answer the question. have you been higher than Whitney?

i just want to point out that your online persona is awesome.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:48 am

kevin trieu wrote:why were you and your clients in disbelief? we were a big group in a small chute with a lot of loose rocks. we tried to keep it together but couldn't. it was clearly not the brightest idea. it is made public. :D

Why... both of em (my clients) kept telling me that at the rate those boulder size shit bombs were being triggered by and coming down all around your party, we/I would definitely have to go up and help ya'll with a body recovery. That was truly one of the most unsafe scenarios I have witnessed in the Sierra BC.

And yes I have been higher than Whitney. Doesn't mean jack shit to me either as the Climbing accomplishments which I prize the most in my career, have absolutely NOTHING to do with any summit nor it's altitude.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:12 am

The Chief wrote:
kevin trieu wrote:why were you and your clients in disbelief? we were a big group in a small chute with a lot of loose rocks. we tried to keep it together but couldn't. it was clearly not the brightest idea. it is made public. :D

Why... both of em (my clients) kept telling me that at the rate those boulder size shit bombs were being triggered by and coming down all around your party, we/I would definitely have to go up and help ya'll with a body recovery. That was truly one of the most unsafe scenarios I have witnessed in the Sierra BC.

And yes I have been higher than Whitney. Doesn't mean jack shit to me either as the Climbing accomplishments which I prize the most in my career, have absolutely NOTHING to do with any summit nor it's altitude.

so you didn't see the size of the boulders for yourself? it was more the size of school buses. thanks for your concern though. i was really just doing you and your clients a favor by clearing all the loose rocks. didn't you go go up the same chute the next day after we came down and gave you the map and beta?

which peak did you climb that's higher than Whitney?

PreviousNext

Return to News