Waterproof Hiking Boot Recommendations

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Brian Jenkins

Waterproof Hiking Boot Recommendations

by Brian Jenkins » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Was wondering if anyone can recommend a light to medium weight hiking boot that is truly waterproof. I've tried many over the years and am looking for something that does not need to be crampon compatible but has been tested and truly is waterproof. I've gone through some Merrills, Asolos, Salomons and just spent probably the wettest day of my life on Mt. Garfield in NH and after about an hour or so, my shoes were squishing out water from the inside. Now, getting ready for the rains to hit the Pac NW. Getting sick of the search so hoping to get some feedback from any of you who have had positive experiences in truly wet conditions. Thanks.

catalyst81

Re: Waterproof Hiking Boot Recommendations

by catalyst81 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:48 am

I've had some luck with Vasque Breezes, but to be honest I haven't tested them in seriously wet conditions. They stayed dry hiking on compacted snow and for a few creek crossings. Good luck in your search and I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:05 am

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

adventurer

by adventurer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:19 pm

The full leather version of the LL Bean "Cresta Hiker".
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:34 pm

I'm very happy with these, except on a really rough trail when I want my heavy hikers.

I even MTB with these for ankle support.

Of course, you're faced with the age old conumdrum. Totally waterproof doesn't breathe.

http://www.rei.com/product/765497?preferredSku=7654970107&cm_mmc=aff_gan-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7654970107&mr:trackingCode=1C6FFAB0-3C7A-DF11-BC8B-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&GANTrackingID=rei_0004920b00ece9ec0ae0c987a9596a96

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:28 pm

All-leather, unlined work boots -- Timberland used to specialize in these before they became a fashion item, and they still make them. Cheap, great traction, very comfortable, last forever. A little waterproofing once a year or so and you're all set. I get 'em a couple sizes too big so my feet can breathe in the summer or I can keep warm with extra-thick socks in the winter. (Insulated boots are a problem in winter: they fill up with sweat during the day and then freeze rock-solid overnight. You could keep them in your sleeping bag (wrapped in plastic) but who wants to do that?)

PS Mt Garfield? Really? There's a short wet, steep section just east of the summit but other than that, all the trails up it stay pretty dry - most of them get lots of traffic so they're heavily maintained with stepping stones etc. Edit: Oh, you went up Thursday during the big storm

welle

by welle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:30 pm

i've been happy with my Asolo TPS 520. the only time they got wet was when I was hiking in shorts and rain got in inside from the top - moral of the story, bring gaitors!

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks much for the recommendations all. I'll check out each one. I've learned to trust word of mouth on stuff like this so much appreciated.

Nartreb- any recommendations for specific Timberland models? And yes, I was up there during the remnants of that tropical storm so maybe it was not a fair test, not much is going to remain dry in those conditions but I had problems on just mildly rainy days before with these boots too. We went up the Garfield Trail and those 4 little ankle-deep brook crossings near the beginning were upper thigh deep fords only a couple hours later on our way down. But by then, there was nary a dry part on me. Had that whitewater been any deeper and we would have had real issues crossing them. Had to hightail it back to our campsite on the Pemi in North Woodstock and break camp with about 20 minutes to spare before our area was flooded out by the river. Lotsa water that day! Should be posting photos in the near future.

Thanks all.

dskoon

by dskoon » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:21 am

Brian Jenkins wrote:Thanks much for the recommendations all. I'll check out each one. I've learned to trust word of mouth on stuff like this so much appreciated.

Nartreb- any recommendations for specific Timberland models? And yes, I was up there during the remnants of that tropical storm so maybe it was not a fair test, not much is going to remain dry in those conditions but I had problems on just mildly rainy days before with these boots too. We went up the Garfield Trail and those 4 little ankle-deep brook crossings near the beginning were upper thigh deep fords only a couple hours later on our way down. But by then, there was nary a dry part on me. Had that whitewater been any deeper and we would have had real issues crossing them. Had to hightail it back to our campsite on the Pemi in North Woodstock and break camp with about 20 minutes to spare before our area was flooded out by the river. Lotsa water that day! Should be posting photos in the near future.

Thanks all.

Wow, that sounds pretty wild. Thigh deep? Radical.

Btw, I've had pretty good luck, thus far, with my Asolo Fugitives. Pretty decent, but then, I've never tested them in thigh deep water. :)

Return to Gear