Post climb burritos !

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
rhyang

Re: Post climb burritos !

by rhyang » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:04 pm

justing wrote:I recommend getting that Taqueria Las Palmas burrito enchilada style.

Thanks for the reminder, that was a good idea :) The greasy burger / beef joints I can do without though .. Priest Station Cafe and Whitney Portal Store -- meh.

So how about north, like coming back from Shasta or Lassen or Castle Crags ? Last mexican food I had up there was Casa Ramos in the town of Mt. Shasta five years ago.
Taaaake !

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Now I remember -- it was Lalo's in 2005 and Casa Ramos in 2006. And Billy Goat's Tavern a few times in there somewhere. Burgers .. ew :)
Taaaake !

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Sorry, I indulge in the best Chili Colorado known to man, at La Bonanza, in Lone Pine.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:58 pm

MoapaPk wrote:It's been a while, but I remember a gas station on the east side of the road in Big Pine. (Insert puns about "gas station.")

Be careful!!

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:39 pm

FortMental wrote:I've come to despise most of what passes for Mexican food these days. We have a lot of these "authentic" New Mexican restaurants around here and I can tell you firsthand that between the Indians and the Mexicans, Native foods of the North American Desert Region is DONKEY FOOD.

Refried beans? WTF? Weren't they good enough fried the first time?
How come I gotta eat food the same way I drink from a faucet?
Who the hell ever came up with potatoes INSIDE tortillas? That's like spaghetti on white bread.
I don't know a Spaniard on this planet who'd eat that "Spanish" rice!
Shredded Meat? Great! What else did you shred in there?
TexMex? Northern Mexican food wasn't bad enough that they let white people really fuck it up!
Why does the "Burrito Special" look like someone had diarrhea in my dish!

Central and Southern Mexican cuisine? Now that's REAL food! But, after a stiff winter outing, nothing satisfies like a burger in a bar joint with a couple of pool tables.

Wow. You complain about stupid things.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:00 pm

FortMental wrote:I've come to despise most of what passes for Mexican food these days. We have a lot of these "authentic" New Mexican restaurants around here and I can tell you firsthand that between the Indians and the Mexicans, Native foods of the North American Desert Region is DONKEY FOOD.

Refried beans? WTF? Weren't they good enough fried the first time?
How come I gotta eat food the same way I drink from a faucet?
Who the hell ever came up with potatoes INSIDE tortillas? That's like spaghetti on white bread.
I don't know a Spaniard on this planet who'd eat that "Spanish" rice!
Shredded Meat? Great! What else did you shred in there?
TexMex? Northern Mexican food wasn't bad enough that they let white people really fuck it up!
Why does the "Burrito Special" look like someone had diarrhea in my dish!

Central and Southern Mexican cuisine? Now that's REAL food! But, after a stiff winter outing, nothing satisfies like a burger in a bar joint with a couple of pool tables.

You forgot to complain about the ingredients for Mexican chorizo. The package in my fridge lists such items as pork salivary glands and lymph nodes. Still tastes damn good in a burrito. 8)

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:16 pm

OMG, this thread is fucking pathetic. The OP wanted to know about post-climb burritos, and people whine about beer and pizza. Why hasn't anyone mentioned the two best places for burritos this side of the Orion Nebula?

Okay, the BEST place for a post-climb burrito is at Frontier Restaurant in Albuquerque, New Mexcio. There's nothing like either their breakfast burrito or their regular burrito.

The famous Frontier breakfast burrito smothered in their famous green chili. When I die, I want to be pickled in Frontier's green chili.

Then there's La Casita in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Their burritos are out of this world. Nothing like some fresh Mexican food after a day at the Garden of the Gods.

The following user would like to thank Sierra Ledge Rat for this post
John Duffield

WML

by WML » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:22 pm

To add an additional excellent locale for post-climb burritos, or at least post-travel burritos, is Super Taqueria located in South Reno. Excellent for coming back from the East Side or Tahoe at hours which most restaurants remain open. Tragically, they are not open late (after 9). Excellent food though! Tried the burritos yesterday, had the tacos another time, outstanding.

keema

by keema » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:19 pm

For those heading back to the Bay area from Yosemite, instead of turning right in Oakdale for Hiway 120 and Escalon, continue straight on 108 to Riverbank and the La Perla Tapatia, the mexican deli inside the mexican market. Great after climb burritos.

The following user would like to thank keema for this post
rhyang

triyoda

by triyoda » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:32 am

rhyang wrote:Now I remember -- it was Lalo's in 2005 and Casa Ramos in 2006. And Billy Goat's Tavern a few times in there somewhere. Burgers .. ew :)

Billy Goat in Mt. Shasta is one of the best post climb places to eat and drink. No burritos though.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:53 am

Carrillos in the San Fernando Valley baby!

If you take the time to read the yelp reviews you'll see that the one guy who had a problem with the food noted that the corn tortilla was soft and not crunchy for the taco he ate. :lol: :lol:

Pinche guero!!! :lol:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/carrillos-mexican-deli-winnetka

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:Edchada's in 29 Palms. Not because the burritos are particularly good, but the maragaritas and the company are.

Ate here on Saturday night -- seemed to be one of the happening places in the Jtree vicinity :D The Senor Burrito was good fuel for the walk into Lenticular Dome the next morning.
Taaaake !

SJ

by SJ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:51 pm

TacoDelRio wrote:Manny's Special at El Tepeyac in East Los Angeles

+1 for El Tepeyac. Can't go wrong with King Taco either, I just don't find myself over in ELA all that often though...

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Vitaly said: "Rob next time you are in SF let me know..I will show you a true Mission st. gem of a taqueria. Mission st. in SF is where burritos were invented by the way!"

Nobody went dentro before that? ROTFLMFAO. With all due respect I think they might be putting something other than food in those. Never could trust them Missionaries.

Well I'm not a Californian but I'll note the "Best" of anything can often be found points far afield.

Flores Cafe has closed in Lander, WY. If anyone can point me to a breaqkfast buirrito like "The Bomb" anywhere please let me know.

No Really great burritos in Dubois and much of Wyoming. A full cheese crisp [giant tostada] at the Merry Piglets in Jackson has been a love affair of mine for 35 years. I do see Mexicans eating there. Las Asucenas behind "The Whole Grocer" in Jackson is a real Mexican place and I like it! Lots of people like burritos at the Bunnery.

In Colorado Springs Sunset Magazine's onetime "Best" Burrito at El Taco Ray, Avocado Pork, is something you snobs cant turn your nose up to. Also downtown is my favorite breakfast burrito in the known Universe, at Kings Chef Diner, now with a roomier location on Tejon. Gary's Chili is hot and first rate, and I think whole foods or someone is selling it now. I'm high maintenance and ask for a dollop of chili on one end and gravy on the rest. It is bleeping exquisite. The Old place on Costilla is of course a classic. La Unica out on West Colorado [about 32nd street I think?] is first rate IMHO, just south of the Garden of the Gods and North of great newer park Redrock Canyon. Also on the West Side I like Alfonso's on 21st just south of US HWY 24. If you're really hungry and order one and the old guy is there you're gonna go out proclaiming not Burrito but "Burrrrow!" there breakfast burritos are quite reasonable. If its still there Turbo Taqueria will please purists and gluttons alike.

If you're on your way to Taos from the Front Range and you take the "right way" through La Valle in San Luis if tis open Maria's Hacienda Cafe always served me way beyond well. If you're heading across towards Durango in Monte Vista Baldo's is a good stop. I haven't been to El Charro in Alamosa in a few years, but had an exquisite pollo en mole there a few times. If you're at Penitente Canyon in tiny La Garita the Burgers are stellar. Think that brought pavement more than anything else.

Well I'll let you guys get back to your "best climbs."

In all seriousness thank you all for great suggestions the next time I'm fortunate to go out to see my Goddaughter.

Feliz Burrodad y prospero...

A-Lex

by A-Lex » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:32 pm

has anybody notice the roachmobiles and taco stands popping up in Lone Pine?

Yes. The one on the west side of 395 is there most days and has tacos, burritos, and quesadillas. I recommend the tacos. The one on the east side of the road in the gas station has better tacos but are only there fri-sun. And they pretty much only serve carne asada tacos, but they are probably the best asada tacos I've had.

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander