Optimal Hiking Grade - A 50 Hike Analysis

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Ze

Optimal Hiking Grade - A 50 Hike Analysis

by Ze » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:18 pm

The following user would like to thank Ze for this post
Day Hiker

Day Hiker

Re: Optimal Hiking Grade - A 50 Hike Analysis

by Day Hiker » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:30 am

Cool stuff. So the max is somewhere just over 40 percent maybe.

Just to check, for your calcs, did you define grade as tangent (true definition of grade) or sine? In other words, did 40% grade correspond to 1961 feet per mile (correct) or 2112 feet per mile?

Going up 2000 feet per mile sure works the legs something fierce. But it also definitely makes the elevation go by more quickly. Much over 2000 feet per mile, and it's probably off-trail and somewhere that I need to start using my hands (class-2 or 3).

Ze

Re: Optimal Hiking Grade - A 50 Hike Analysis

by Ze » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:04 am

Day Hiker wrote:Cool stuff. So the max is somewhere just over 40 percent maybe.

Just to check, for your calcs, did you define grade as tangent (true definition of grade) or sine? In other words, did 40% grade correspond to 1961 feet per mile (correct) or 2112 feet per mile?

Going up 2000 feet per mile sure works the legs something fierce. But it also definitely makes the elevation go by more quickly. Much over 2000 feet per mile, and it's probably off-trail and somewhere that I need to start using my hands (class-2 or 3).

True definition.

Yeah basically its near that point that you probably have to start using hands and slowing down a little bit. There's a paper or two that investigated this that I want to compare to but they (I think did the work on the treadmill (and only went up to maybe 40%) so not sure how it will compare

Return to General