Tehachapi/Highway 58 Question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
avalanch

Tehachapi/Highway 58 Question

by avalanch » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Can someone tell me if Highway 58 ever closes for snow like the Grapevine does? I was wanting to go over to the desert tomorrow (I know bad weather coming), and that is the fastest route, but I was not sure if they close the highway all together or allow you to just chain up. Any input would be appreciated, thanks all..

Rick Kent

Re: Tehachapi/Highway 58 Question

by Rick Kent » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:38 am

Yes it does close occaisionally like the Grapevine if conditions are bad. Both routes are major arteries however so they try to reopen them as soon as possible. I think the snow level is supposed to be rather low with this storm so it could be a possibility.

Tom Kenney

Re: Tehachapi/Highway 58 Question

by Tom Kenney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:55 am

Google weather forecast:

Saturday

Numerous showers with a slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning...then scattered showers with a slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Snow level 1000 to 1500 feet. Little or no snow accumulation expected. Highs in the mid 40s. South winds around 15 mph...shifting to west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

And this is the forecast for ... er ... uh ... Woodland Hills! The southwest corner of the San Fernando Valley!!! IIRC, it's only snowed twice here in my 43 years on this planet.

Return to California