Rope Length for General Mountaineering

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
mtravinski

Rope Length for General Mountaineering

by mtravinski » Thu May 26, 2011 9:47 pm

I just received a 9.8mm x 70m Sterling Dry in the mail, this guy: http://www.backcountry.com/sterling-evolution-velocity-rope-9.8mm Turns out it's 70m and pretty frack'n heavy! It's really a little more rope than I wanted and I can't return it (prodeal). I have a 30m 9.8 and a 30m 8mm already. I wanted a 60, but I don't really want a 70. I plan to do some Cascade Glacier routes with this in the next couple years and want to cut this thing down a little.

Anyways, the question is, for 2-3 person rope teams (which is what I anticipate), should I cut it to 60m or 50m? I'm leaning towards 50m to reduce the weight as much as possible - especially if it's a 2-person team on approach. If I'm in a team of more than 3, chances are someone else will have a longer rope anyways. I know some people would use their 30x9.8 for a 2-person team, but that leaves very little extra for crevasse rescue (and a C+Z rig would probably be required).

Thanks!

rockymtnclimber

Re: Rope Length for General Mountaineering

by rockymtnclimber » Fri May 27, 2011 12:59 am

If you're not going to have more than 3 people, 50m would be plenty long. I've had 5 on a 60m rope. I don't really like 5 on a rope, but it wasn't bad. I personally wouldn't use a 70m for glacier travel, because I prefer to keep a rope at 4 people or less, and 60m is plenty long. I guess it could be a good length for guiding...

Regarding the 2 person team, you're right, if you want to be totally self-sufficient, the extra length will be needed for crevasse rescue. Then you'll just need to practice setting up an anchor with the weight of your partner hanging off your harness. That's the hard part!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri May 27, 2011 5:01 am

I use a 50 meter cord for general mountaineering and alpine climbing.

mvs

by mvs » Fri May 27, 2011 8:46 am

This dovetails a little bit with my rant about long ropes a week ago. Boosterism for long ropes leads to stores only carrying 60s and 70s. Then they look at you blankly when you say you want a 50. You say "yes, but I want to do some alpine climbs," they say "well...most people are going with 70s these days." Argh! :D Definitely get a 50 meter rope for the kind of things you are doing.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri May 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Remember when they used to make 55 meter ropes? I think Alex had a pair.

no avatar
mtravinski

by mtravinski » Fri May 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks all, I think I'll go with 50. According to Selters' Crevasse Rescue book, you could put up to 5 people on a 50 if you wanted, which I don't. And yeah, setting the anchor while holding my partners weight in a crevasse may not be easy - will take some practice. I've seen it done during a clinic in Alaska though, where Marc Beverly made it look easy (I'm sure it is for him, but not for most mere mortals). Bonne descente!

rockymtnclimber

by rockymtnclimber » Fri May 27, 2011 10:44 pm

If you have video, or can find any, of someone making it look easy to set an anchor while being an anchor themselves, I would love to see it. I'll take all the pointers I can get!

no avatar
mtravinski

by mtravinski » Fri May 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Yes I do actually (at least I think I do). I videoed our instructor doing it on the Mendenhall Glacier, and there was a decent sized guy in the crevasse. I'll dig it up and either post it or put it on youtube and give you a link. Give me a day or two. I'm not sure it's on this laptop.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Fri May 27, 2011 11:34 pm

If weight is an issue, why not save that rope for long multi-pitch rock climbs and get a 50 meter 8 mm glacier rope? 8 mm is a lot lighter than 9.8.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat May 28, 2011 1:21 am

BigMitch wrote:If weight is an issue, why not save that rope for long multi-pitch rock climbs and get a 50 meter 8 mm glacier rope? 8 mm is a lot lighter than 9.8.

For a 50 meter rope the difference between an 8 mm rope (42 g/m) and a 9.8 mm rope (64 g/m) is 1.1 kg or about 2.4 pounds. Certainly for general mountaineering and many moderate alpine climbs a half rope is adequate. Get a pair and you can climb more technical routes as well.

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Tue May 31, 2011 11:08 pm

If you have video, or can find any, of someone making it look easy to set an anchor while being an anchor themselves, I would love to see it. I'll take all the pointers I can get!

Here's that video: http://youtu.be/ZPUM0PLmxY4

(I had to create a new account. Sysadmin accidently deleted my last one)

The following user would like to thank Trawinski for this post
Mountainjeff

Return to Gear