What would be length of your next rope?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

What would be your next rope length for glacier/moderate mountaineering/multi-pitch in the Alps?

50m double-rope
40%
60m double-rope
20%
70m double-rope
No votes
30m + 50/60/70m double-rope
40%

Total votes : 5
no avatar
rdo

What would be length of your next rope?

by rdo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:31 am

Hi,

I've read many topics and websites about ropes, types, best use, etc. The number of choices and variations is enormous and as it is said "you need different types of ropes for different activities", couldn't agree more. However, probably many would be in a situation as I am, that I can not afford to buy as many ropes as I would like to and seek for some compromise. I am now on a market for new ropes and I would like to hear what is your advice and experience. The purpose for my new ropes would be:
- glacier travel (mainly 2 person team)
- easy to moderate mountaineering
- multipitch climbing in the alps (i.e. Wilder Kaiser)

I have another 60m single rope for sports climbing. I think the best would be double-rope. More difficult for me is choosing the length. Weight factor is important for me. Almost everyone says 60m is the one to go with, but on the other hand, why would 50m ropes still be on the market? I can appreciate the weight save with 50m. The questions is, is 50m enough in the Alps or 60m is really a minimum length? Would you climb multipitch in the Alps with 50m rope? In example Wilder Kaiser in Austria, I've seen there are not too many pitches longer than 50m.

Or maybe you would lean to have 30m rope only for glacier and 50/60m for other activities?
Last edited by rdo on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Stefan

Re: What would be length of your next rope?

by Stefan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:54 am

70m double
Loads of multipitches have stances every 70 meter.

asmrz

Re: What would be length of your next rope?

by asmrz » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:53 pm

For truly moderate alpine climbing, two 50 meter ropes are still the best option. There are very few (if any) routes at or under UIAA VI, anywhere in the world, that have been put up on the long (60, 70m) ropes. The weight difference between 50 meter ropes and the longer ones is significant, especially for alpine terrain. I would buy the lightest "Double" ropes available.

Return to Gear