Why Half Dome ?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Denjem

Re: Why Half Dome ?

by Denjem » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:27 pm

I think it is because, it is one of the most recognized features in America and the world. I also think that the reason crowds don't put pepole off, is because people who don't hike all the time are probably a lot less anti-social than your average SP'er. I know that I personally love to hike because I can get to places that most people don't have the desire or knowledge to get to. Think about the logistics of hiking Half Dome, it is right there in the Valley where most poeple come to visit when they come to Yosemite. Also most people are never going to come back. So when they get home and tell their friends, "Hey, I climbed Half Dome!" their friends will most likely know what they are talking about and be impressed. If you go back to Ohio and tell your friends, "Hey , I hiked up to Catherdral Peak!" No one is going to know what the hell you are talking about.

Denjem

by Denjem » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:32 pm

lcarreau wrote:So you think of Half Dome as being some type of "trophy," similar to some mammoth elk antlers hanging up on the wall ???

Sorry, but I don't understand that type of mentality, and probably never will. But, to each his own ...

I'm gonna stay as far away from the crowds as I possibly can. Crowds make me extremely nervous.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCB3J1iWwYs[/youtube]

:wink:

Just a question, if you don't understand the trophy metality then why do you have all those climber log's signed on you profile? It wouldn't be for bragging rights, would it?

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:34 pm

i had a lot of the same negative thoughts about hiking half dome, but when I finally did it a few years ago I realized that it is an amazing day hike. Probably the best day hike I've ever done.............minus the crowds. ;)

I'm sure there are better hikes, but this one has waterfalls, lots of elevation gain, can be mentally and physically challenging, unmatched scenery and views, and ends on a amazing piece of granite.

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

by SpazzyMcgee » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:36 pm

lcarreau wrote:So you think of Half Dome as being some type of "trophy," similar to some mammoth elk antlers hanging up on the wall ???

Well, I don't. But I think a lot of people who are new to the outdoors might.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:47 pm

David Senesac wrote:... If someone suggests they try tackling Four Mile Trail in the afternoon and another after a long pause just says "...what about Half Dome", one can almost sense the rising excitement and pride in the group as they internally begin reflecting on the sound of..."I climbed Half Dome".

I was responding to THIS.

I don't care what the hell people climb or don't climb. I'll have my fun, and you can have yours. Whatever floats your boat ... just do it.

If you want to spend your entire lifetime impressing people, well ... the choice is yours.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:26 am

I enjoyed the trip immensely. It was neat to see the variety of people who were doing a large elevation gain, overcoming fears... and making the top, with great pride, sense of accomplishment, and perhaps a greater love of the outdoors. Occasionally you will see local Mennonite women, complete with long dresses, making the trek.

Is it just a hike by the cable route? Come down outside the cables if you want a challenge. Or go up before the cables are taken off the rock (ca. Memorial Day).

Many (more) challenging mountains also have hordes of climbers. That's the way it is.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
MarkDidier

David Senesac

by David Senesac » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:48 am

MoapaPk wrote:I enjoyed the trip immensely. It was neat to see the variety of people who were doing a large elevation gain, overcoming fears... and making the top, with great pride, sense of accomplishment, and perhaps a greater love of the outdoors. ...

Good point. Ordinary people feeding off the emotions from accomplishment of others around them in ways that would be greater than if they had done so alone or with a small group. Like being in a crowd at a sporting event, emotions and excitement are contagious.

WML

by WML » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:59 am

MoapaPk wrote:I enjoyed the trip immensely. It was neat to see the variety of people who were doing a large elevation gain, overcoming fears... and making the top, with great pride, sense of accomplishment, and perhaps a greater love of the outdoors. Occasionally you will see local Mennonite women, complete with long dresses, making the trek.

Is it just a hike by the cable route? Come down outside the cables if you want a challenge. Or go up before the cables are taken off the rock (ca. Memorial Day).

Many (more) challenging mountains also have hordes of climbers. That's the way it is.

Would be a nice mellow 5.4 solo with a long hike at that point :)

Vladislav

by Vladislav » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:38 am

We did this hike in June 2006 on a weekend afternoon. We had the cables and the summit entirely to ourselves. It was a nice hike but even without crowds it was far from my favorite. Now, if I saw hundreds of people hanging on the cables, I am sure we would have simply turned around.
Crowd mentality works the other way around, if you see many people doing it, it must be really cool! Most people are wired up that way.

The following user would like to thank Vladislav for this post
lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:01 am

Yep, and some of us are NOT wired up THAT way. We enjoy the peace and quiet of solitude and wildlife encounters and birds going tweet tweet ... TWEET!

When I look at ANY large national park in the summer, THIS is what I'm seeing ... :roll:

Which is not ALL BAD, because I'm particularly fond of sheep. :D
Last edited by lcarreau on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:45 am

Most of my trips have absolutely no other people in sight, maybe for days. But I also enjoy seeing people on occasion-- I'm wired that way, I guess. Some people get their human interaction from postings on the internet; some get it from actually talking with other people in person.

Sometimes when you see a lot of people at a restaurant, it's because that restaurant is good.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:06 am

MoapaPk wrote:
Sometimes when you see a lot of people at a restaurant, it's because that restaurant is good.

Let's get right to the point. Harlan can remain in the kitchen!

no avatar
Franky

by Franky » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:20 am

people climb half dome because the regular north west face is one of the best routes in the world.

The following user would like to thank Franky for this post
WML

Vladislav

by Vladislav » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:06 am

MoapaPk wrote:Most of my trips have absolutely no other people in sight, maybe for days. But I also enjoy seeing people on occasion-- I'm wired that way, I guess. Some people get their human interaction from postings on the internet; some get it from actually talking with other people in person.

Actually I really don't mind seeing people when I am hiking. Even on remote outings I quite like meeting somebody.
I enjoy many trails in Yosemite even when bumping into dozens of people all making the same comment that they want to travel as my 3-year old daughter does. It's all good!
What I really don't enjoy is waiting in line with hundreds of others making one step every 10-15 seconds or so.
Interestingly enough, when they tell me that I have to wait 20-30 minutes to be seated at a restaurant, I usually turn around and find a more suitable place. I am wired that way, I know that! :)

rlshattuck

by rlshattuck » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 am

Pssssst . . . I say, let 'em have Half Dome . . . there are all kinds of arguments and so on in favor of getting rid of the cables, and the quota system and whatever else, pro/con . . . I say to those that head out into the backcountry, just be glad that half dome is as far as the people in the clean white socks, ever get.

Imagine if they all decided that they had to go (pick something) to, say, . . . Lyell, Maclure . . . can you see the line up Lyell Canyon.

The following user would like to thank rlshattuck for this post
lcarreau

PreviousNext

Return to California