Alpine climbs and backpacking in WA

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
sheelba

Alpine climbs and backpacking in WA

by sheelba » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm a Brit planning a trip next Summer to WA. I was hoping to go from Vancouver to Seattle and looking to do easy alpine routes in the Cascades area. Is this a good area for this, are there any better areas in Washington? Is there a good guidebook covering it? Ideally I'd like to do longer multi-day routes in more remote areas.

Thanks
Sam

ExcitableBoy

Re: Alpine climbs and backpacking in WA

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Both the B.C. and Washington Cascades are pretty great and offer endless possiblities for alpine climbing. There are other mountain ranges in Washington (Olympics, Blue Mountains) but Cascades are what you want. The BC Coast Range is really only accessible by aircraft or by boat and walking a long way in grizzly bear country.

I recommend the following guide books:

For B.C. Cascades: Alpine Select by Kevin McLane

For Washington Cascades (and some B.C.): Selected Climbs in Cascades by Jim Nelson and Peter Potterfield

While not comprehensive, these guide books offer better route descriptions, route topos, gear suggestions, best time or year, photographs etc. than the Beckey guide books. If you want more information regarding logistics or specific route recommendations, I'd be happy to tell you what I know.

EB

Snidely Whiplash

Re: Alpine climbs and backpacking in WA

by Snidely Whiplash » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm not sure if I know what you mean by "easy alpine routes," but if you want remote, the North Cascades is a great place. Some not-to-technically alpine routes that are wonderful in the North Cascades are the Sulphide Glacier on Mt. Shuksan, Sahale, Eldorado Peak, Silverstar Mtn. not to mention Glacier Peak and Mt. Baker, and many others. In the central Cascades, it might be worthwhile trying to get into the Enchantments. Of course, there is always Mt. Rainier, which has moderately easy (though technical) routes.

If you're looking for non-technical climbs, i.e. scrambles, look at Peggy Goldman's Book on 75 Scrambles in Washington. Also, Jeff Smoot's book on Climbing in Washington is a good resource.

Other remote areas are the Paysaten Wilderness and the Chelan-Sawtooths area.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)