Your Favorite Self-Arrest Practice Spots (this time of year)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Andy P.

Your Favorite Self-Arrest Practice Spots (this time of year)

by Andy P. » Fri May 31, 2013 9:02 pm

Howdy,

I will be visiting a friend in Leadville from Saturday until Wednesday of next week. While knocking off a couple of nearby 14ers is on my list if the weather cooperates, I thought I may luck out and there may be a great practice slope for self-arrest in the area. Living in Wisconsin, this is something I just do not get to practice, and it has probably been 5 years since the last time I practiced falling in all the odd body positions - the muscle memory is fading!

In Oregon where I am originally from, early June is an ideal time to find some consolidated, safe runout, 30-40 degree chutes to practice in - I hope the same holds true for CO. Thanks for your feedback; I searched this forum and came up with nothing so hopefully this thread can act as a reference and motivate us all to get out and practice! :wink:

Andy

Tonka

Re: Your Favorite Self-Arrest Practice Spots (this time of y

by Tonka » Fri May 31, 2013 9:57 pm

I don't have a clue on conditions but what about Breck or Copper.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri May 31, 2013 10:30 pm

In the early 1970s when I lived in upstate NY, I would find toboggan and ski runs that had been compacted, and often had hard areas in excess of 30 degrees. The edge of a ravine will do, except your runout is likely to be wet.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:54 pm

I know St Mary's glacier just above the town on Alice on the Fall River Road is practiced on a lot. Not a huge hike to get to it either. It isn't really a glacier either more of a permanent snowfield.

no avatar
Andy P.

by Andy P. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys! As it turned out, today I went to visit Vail (I had never been there and seems to be a place one should see). I looked up at the slopes and noticed that a short hike away was the half pipe area at the resort and it was still very well snowed in. There were bikers and hikers zooming all over the mountain so I figured it would be ok to trudge up there and practice - it worked out great! Easy access, plenty of people around in case I managed to hurt myself, etc. only downside was it wasn't that steep and I had trouble getting high speed going. Also, plenty of funny looks from people passing by :D

Return to Colorado