Eastern Sierra Fire Conditions....???

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MCGusto

Eastern Sierra Fire Conditions....???

by MCGusto » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Anyone over on the East Side care to comment on the conditions with the fire going on in Yosemite? I was up on Tuolumne with Aspen Fire going and it wasn't too bad, but that was weeks ago before the bigger fire broke out. How's it affecting from Bishop down to Lone Pine?

On a side note... anyone been up the road to get to the Split Mtn. trailhead? Is it as bad as it ever was?

Thanks,

Gusto

seano

Re: Eastern Sierra Fire Conditions....???

by seano » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Lone Pine is pretty bad in the afternoons thanks to the Fish Fire. It's not crippling up high, but I couldn't see the Inyos driving down from the Portal yesterday afternoon.

cab

by cab » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 pm

I hiked over Cottonwood Pass on Saturday and the smoke from the Fish Fire was pretty bad around the Siberian Outpost area - one hiker we met aborted their hike due to the smoke. But, on Sunday, on the way back from Rock Creek, the Siberian Outpost area was not bad at all. However, back in Horseshoe Meadows, the smoke was definitely thicker than the day before. I think it all depends on the winds.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:18 pm

I did evolution traverse on saturday and there was a good amount of smoke by the evening. Not super enjoyable to climb with this amount, but very doable of course..

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks, guys! Looking to HOPEFULLY be heading up and over Shepherd's Pass this coming weekend... Will keep fingers crossed!

Any other updates much appreciated!

Gusto

tbaranski

by tbaranski » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:03 pm

Smoke has invaded the Mammoth area -- at least as far south as Little Lakes Valley.

Return to California