1000pks deleted his pages

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: 1000pks deleted his pages

by Scott » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Scott, this is referring to the following scenario:

- user clicks on a link to summitpost.org/this-page-was-deleted-a-long-time-ago.html

-Summitpost, instead of replying with "this page has been deleted", serves up

summitpost.org/this-page-was-written-later-to-replace-that-deleted-page.html

(Equivalently, Summitpost serves up a dummy summitpost.org/this-page-was-deleted-a-long-time-ago.html that actually contains only a META REDIRECT tag that instructs the user's browser to request summitpost.org/this-page-was-written-later-to-replace-that-deleted-page.html instead .)

The hard part is knowing which pages to serve up as replacements. In the general case, replacement pages won't exist. But there is a number of cases where they do exist, and users could report them in the forum. Matt or Josh could write a tool the elves could use to tell Summitpost which pages replace which others.

I am not a programmer and Matt and Josh have been severely injured, so probably can't make any drastic changes right now (if they can, I'll let them tune in), and this sounds like a good idea, but since pages with summit logs can no longer be deleted and it hasn't been possible to delete them for a few years now, wouldn't it be simpler to post an addition/correction to the page and have the maintainer update the link? If a maintainer is gone, maybe let an elf know, but there should be very few pages that have broken mountain page links as a result of the old owners deleting them. Deleted mountain pages should no longer be a problem, so it doesn't seem worth writing a program for something that is a simple fix. If the programmers disagree and it is an easy change, they can correct me.

mvs

by mvs » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Whoa, Matt is injured too? Dang...

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:35 pm

mvs wrote:Whoa, Matt is injured too? Dang...

my thoughts exactly. when did this happen?
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:36 am

I'll let him say more if he wants since it isn't my place. The only thing I can think of to say is that there are valid reasons as to why the programmers have been tied up.

mvs

by mvs » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:13 am

Whew, alright stay safe Matt, and congrats on the good recovery.

Previous

Return to Site Feedback