Death March

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
CaptainSir

Death March

by CaptainSir » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:04 am

While hiking the Trap Dike on Mt. Colden two weeks ago, my friend and I came up with the insane death and was wondering if there were any trip reports or related links for such a hike?
[list=][Adirondak Loj -> Avalanche Lake -> Trap Dike -> Mt. Colden;]
Mt. Colden ->Trail #70 (Mt. Colden from Lake Colden) -> Trail #121 (Mt. Marcy via Calamity Brook & Lake Colden) -> Grey Peak (depending on how we feel) -? Mt. Skylight (depending how we feel)
Mt. Skylight -> Mt. Marcy -> Great Range Traverse [/list]

I roughly estimate the hike is 34 miles and 11,000 or so of elevation change. So here's some background information so far I've completed a Pemi loop, Presi traverse and Great Range traverse.

Is anyone aware of any trip reports or thoughts for water resupply since it is pretty slim pickings along the Great Range ridgeline.

nartreb

Re: Death March

by nartreb » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Not that I'm an expert on the 'Dacks, but I can't recall anyone ever doing that particular route in a day. Great Range plus Grey and Skylight in a day has been done a few times, see for example Cave Bear's ADK46 speed record report, in the links from here:
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/t ... h-peaks-ny

Anyway, if you've hiked all these peaks before, you already know what you're getting into. Specifically, you'll need to fill your water bottles at Lake Tear of the Clouds on your way to Skylight, because that'll have to last you until Hedgehog. Even if you wanted to take a detour for water, I don't know of any reasonable options. (Haystack Brook comes close to the ridgeline opposite Shorey's Shortcut, but that's a steep bushwhack [never tried it myself] and probably not far enough into the traverse to be worth a detour.)

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
CaptainSir

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)