runner thread

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
SawtoothSean

The Best Training

by SawtoothSean » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:35 pm

Trail running (hills) is the absolute best training for mountaineering and scrambling, in my opinion. I'm talking about long, relatively slow, runs up steep trails and jeep roads. I started running anything that I could- steep jeep roads, steep trails, ridge running etc. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with hundreds of steep forest roads going up to 5000-7000 ft. It's perfect training. When I get in situations where I just have to hike, scramble, or mountaineer, it feels relatively easy after mountain running. Often on scrambles that require long approaches, I just run the approach and then the scramble / climb actually seems easy. This also has allowed me to do 2-3 day climbs in a day, and see some backcountry that most often requires overnighters.

I was never able to do this in my 20's, only since my mid 30's. I attribute that to training smarter now (cross training, nutrition, a rest day every 2 weeks). This type of training definitely takes a little getting used to, but it will give most people the biggest "pop" in their mountain endurance.

Charles

by Charles » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:52 pm

I ran my race tooday. The course was half into a strong wind which wasn´t much fun. But all in all it was an enjoyable event...and I won my 3 pairs of running socks again! :D

mountaindog

by mountaindog » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:07 pm

charles wrote:I ran my race tooday. The course was half into a strong wind which wasn´t much fun. But all in all it was an enjoyable event...and I won my 3 pairs of running socks again! :D

Charles,
Congrats on winning the socks! You can never have enough of those.

My running has hit a real skid here in smog-laiden and pollen-filled Rome sending me indoors to use the stairmaster and bike. Waiting for a good rain to clean it up a bit.

peninsula

by peninsula » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:49 pm

mountaindog wrote:Waiting for a good rain to clean it up a bit.

Good idea mountaindog. One subject that might have been overlooked on this thread is air quality and running in urban locations. It is detail worthy of consideration prior to heading outdoors.

And congratulations Charles!

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:11 pm

If you live, as I do, in places like the L.A. basin, you avoid running during summer smog alert days. Early morning runs can help you avoid that. In other words, you adapt. I head into the hills as often as possible but it's hard to do that during the week before work. Nevertheless, I'd always rather face less than optimum air quality than get my running in on a treadmill. The only time I run in the gym is when I'm traveling and my hotel surroundings have absolutely no running path possibilities except car choked roads.

Yes, congratulations Charles. You're getting me motivated to get back to doing some road races for fun and conditioning. Last race I did was a 5K last December so it's time to get back with it.

mountaindog

by mountaindog » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:14 pm

Mountain Impulse wrote:If you live, as I do, in places like the L.A. basin, you avoid running during summer smog alert days. Early morning runs can help you avoid that. In other words, you adapt. I head into the hills as often as possible but it's hard to do that during the week before work. Nevertheless, I'd always rather face less than optimum air quality than get my running in on a treadmill. The only time I run in the gym is when I'm traveling and my hotel surroundings have absolutely no running path possibilities except car choked roads.

Yes, congratulations Charles. You're getting me motivated to get back to doing some road races for fun and conditioning. Last race I did was a 5K last December so it's time to get back with it.

Rome has the double whammy of high pollution and no running trails (except on the far northern side of town). Also, I am allergic to something here and spend hours coughing after a long run. The hills await on the weekends but true fitness only comes from a daily routine. I'm moving down to the coast in late summer so this is only a temporary problem.

Charles

by Charles » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:37 am

Thanks, folk. Yes socks always come in "handy" or that should be "footy".

Air condition, yes very important.
Hope you get to a comfortable place soon Mountaindog!

Deb

by Deb » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:24 pm

solonomad wrote:So, I went trail running today and at about mile 4, both sides of my pelvis started hurting like crazy (kind of like I pulled my groin in a way or something). Also, my fascia (sp?) - the muscle running along the bottomside of your foot - is sore as well, but only on my right foot.

Is that a result of bad form?
This is the first time I'd felt either of those pains, that I can recall anyway, so I don't know if it's my form or not.

Your shoes could very well be the culprit. Get some experienced help in picking up shoes for your size, run style, pronation, type of running.....ect.... And STRETCH ALOT! Then you can start looking at your form.

lalpinist

r*unning can be fun

by lalpinist » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:43 pm

Look into the hash house harriers. :twisted:

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:17 pm

solonomad wrote:So, I went trail running today and at about mile 4, both sides of my pelvis started hurting like crazy (kind of like I pulled my groin in a way or something). Also, my fascia (sp?) - the muscle running along the bottomside of your foot - is sore as well, but only on my right foot.

Is that a result of bad form?
This is the first time I'd felt either of those pains, that I can recall anyway, so I don't know if it's my form or not.

I don't know your weekly mileage or intensity of your runs, but like most running injuries, overuse is a frequent culprit. It's not clear from your description if you're talking about a hip injury or thigh pull in your groin area. I'd cut back on the mileage for a while and be sure and stretch after your workout.

Gareth

by Gareth » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:59 pm

It's nice and warm down here in Flatsville, so I think that I will go out on a run today...we'll see how far I can get. :?

Cy Kaicener

Runners Thread

by Cy Kaicener » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:17 pm

Three guys ran 4000 miles across the Sahara Desert in 111 days. One of them Charlie Engle was practising here in California running the Cactus to Clouds trail from Palm Springs (elevation 500 ft) to Mount San Jacinto 10,804 ft.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/3/3_1 ... les-.shtml
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2772368

ExploretheWorld

by ExploretheWorld » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:27 pm

What a feat! Crossing the Sahara on foot! Makes me think about the amounts I run.

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:05 pm

On the topic of form, man, are there some goofy running styls out there. I've seen people at the club that I just want to walk up to and say, "hey can we chat a minute, your appendeges will fall off if you keep doing that." I agree with using as little of the upper body as possible and I take shorter strides when just at pace. I track run most of the time, indoors. I also battle a bit of the shin splints but find that streching and running through them works better than taking time off from running.

I've entered my first triathlon which is in mid-July. It's the lifetime Fitness race here in Minneapolis which has become the biggest triathlon in the country. I think that is on winings. I'm just doing the short course which is .4, 15 and a 5K. Should be fun.

Deb

Re: runner thread

by Deb » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:14 pm

IdahoKid wrote:I run 15 miles per week give or take a few but I rarely do more than 4 miles at a time. I find if I do I usually end up tweaking something or my knees ache and I figure at 17 that must not be a good sign, I guess I must not have a runner's body or somethin.

I compete in triatholans (usually short ones) and do the running leg of it, but I prefer hike racing myself.

Whatever your view is, no doubt that it is great cross-training for climbing, especially when one throws in a few hills.
Sean

Idaho - what do you consider a short tri? Sprint or Olympic? I personally enjoy the Olympic distance to make it worthwhile.

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training