runner thread

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Charles

by Charles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:47 pm

I think stretching after a run does good.

Chris

by Chris » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:00 pm

charles wrote:I think stretching after a run does good.

I agree that it's probably better to stretch after either a short easy warm up or after the run. Probably get more benefit too, as it's easier to stretch warm muscles. I don't do it enough though.. mostly just for injury rehab. It's on my perpetual "to-do" list. :-)

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:51 pm

OK. Got my heavyweight body jogging a couple of times during my daily training walk today.

Just a couple of short sections, which I'll aim to repeat for a few days before extending the distance I jog for.

Didn't break anything but it was a bit of an effort. So I take that as it being good for my overall training!

nebben

by nebben » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:42 pm

Wow, another revival of an old thread! Awesome!

I'm having a hard time picking up running again since late in fall last year. I'd like to gradually get into ultra-marathon territory after marathoning for the past four years. I'm about a medium paced runner: 3:51:xx PR for marathon, ~1:51:xx PR for 1/2, and so-so in shorter distances. My last few races have been closer to 4:25:00 though :( . I guess not training anymore really screws me up.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:16 pm

Adventurer wrote:Bryan,

Go easy, take your time and be careful with your knees. I don't know what type of shoes you've been doing your walking in but for running, you should consider visiting a store where the sales people are knowledgeable about running and can recommend a good supportive shoe. Running on grass/dirt is best but if you must run on a hard surface, asphalt is better than concrete which you should definitely avoid IMO.

All the best!

I only wear one type of footwear for ALL my walking, (and now my very limited jogging). Whether it's dragging myself up Bavarian mountain tracks, or forcing myself around the local asphalt roads and gravel tracks where I train.

Deep breath everyone.

It's Scarpa Mantas!

I find them incredibly comfortable. I've now got three pairs and they are the first footwear I've every worn that I have never turned an ankle in. And I can turn an ankle walking down a supermarket, (mall?), car park!

Newest, barely worn in pair for snow walking.

Middle pair for other Bavarian trips.

Most worn pair, (just re-soled), for all training for a few weeks until I feel the re-sole is good enough to let them take over from middle pair for non snow Bavarian trips!

They are so comfortable I just don't know I'm wearing them.

Charles

by Charles » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:18 am

Bryan Benn wrote:
Adventurer wrote:Bryan,

Go easy, take your time and be careful with your knees. I don't know what type of shoes you've been doing your walking in but for running, you should consider visiting a store where the sales people are knowledgeable about running and can recommend a good supportive shoe. Running on grass/dirt is best but if you must run on a hard surface, asphalt is better than concrete which you should definitely avoid IMO.

All the best!

I only wear one type of footwear for ALL my walking, (and now my very limited jogging). Whether it's dragging myself up Bavarian mountain tracks, or forcing myself around the local asphalt roads and gravel tracks where I train.

Deep breath everyone.

It's Scarpa Mantas!

I find them incredibly comfortable. I've now got three pairs and they are the first footwear I've every worn that I have never turned an ankle in. And I can turn an ankle walking down a supermarket, (mall?), car park!

Newest, barely worn in pair for snow walking.

Middle pair for other Bavarian trips.

Most worn pair, (just re-soled), for all training for a few weeks until I feel the re-sole is good enough to let them take over from middle pair for non snow Bavarian trips!

They are so comfortable I just don't know I'm wearing them.

As Adventurer wrote, take it easy old boy! It´s really fantastic that you´re going for it though, respect! Take note of your shoes for running, very important. If you want to do it on a regular basis go and get some advice from a good running shop.
Cheers

Charles

schmid_th

by schmid_th » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:20 pm

charles wrote:
schmid_th wrote:I don´t like running very much - but I do it to get fit for the mountains.
I make a mixture of running and cycling (cycling makes more fun), but when you run you use the same muscles like hiking/climbing.

A friend who climbed about 40 4.000 m peaks in the Alps, about 20 5.000 m peaks and I think 12 6.000 m peaks prepared himself for this trips by running 2x10 km and 1x 20 km per week and regularly some climbs in the Alps.

I run either 4x 8-10 km per week or 2x 8km and 1x 10-15 km. I also climb once a week. My track is with 200 Hm, that´s a good preparation for the mountains.
Better running up some hills than a flat run.

For someone who doesn´t like running, that not bad! :D

Well, without those aims I wouldn´t run and only go cycling...
So you see what motivation can do! :)

no avatar
BSinc

by BSinc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:08 pm

There is growth because by changing it up your giving the "worked" muscles a little time to recover.

Carbo

by Carbo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Variation is good it keeps it interesting.
I run the following these days and hopefully that will be enough for an upcoming marathon.
Monday: 5-6 miles on trail and a good pace (faster than my longer runs)
Tuesday: Speed workout (800's and 1miler)
Thursday: Hilly longer trail run, I try finish the last few miles fast
Saturday: Long run with the baby jogger (currently 16-20 miles)

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Carbo wrote:Variation is good it keeps it interesting.
I run the following these days and hopefully that will be enough for an upcoming marathon.

Sounds like a good basic plan; you've got recovery days between your hard workouts (intervals and long run). The only thing I would do different (and which I do when I train for a marathon) is to skip the 800's (they would be good for training for 5K/10K) and stick to mile repeats. Since you're talking about 26.2 miles, I think mile repeats are the better preparation for holding your mile pace during the race.

Carbo

by Carbo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:45 pm

Mountain Impulse wrote:
Carbo wrote:Variation is good it keeps it interesting.

Sounds like a good basic plan; you've got recovery days between your hard workouts (intervals and long run). The only thing I would do different (and which I do when I train for a marathon) is to skip the 800's (they would be good for training for 5K/10K) and stick to mile repeats. Since you're talking about 26.2 miles, I think mile repeats are the better preparation for holding your mile pace during the race.

Thanks for the recommendation. I did start adding some milers instead of 800s. I think it is too late to chance much by now I guess (marathon is next month), but better late than never maybe. One of my problems is keeping the pace slow on my long runs, I sort get into a rythm and end up running faster than needed I always wonder if this is a bad idea.

Charles

by Charles » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:35 pm

I´m in for an 11Km cross country race on Sunday, really looking forward to it. Last time I did it I won 3 pairs of running socks :D

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:09 pm

Here is a question for all you running veterans. What is good running form? Here is my situation. Way back in high school when I ran track, people would ask me why I stuck my chest out when I ran. I told them that is just the way I ran. I didn't do it consciously. Apperently I would arch my back somewhat and hunch my shoulders up too.

Now that I'm running again I find myself doing the same thing. In fact, my back often aches a little when I run. But I'm trying to relax my shoulders, but I still stick out my chest. Is this bad form? What can I do to alleviate it? If it helps to know, I also have short legs and I take small strides. When I try to take longer strides I feel my back straighten a little. Any advice?

Charles

by Charles » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:36 pm

IagosGhost wrote:Here is a question for all you running veterans. What is good running form? Here is my situation. Way back in high school when I ran track, people would ask me why I stuck my chest out when I ran. I told them that is just the way I ran. I didn't do it consciously. Apperently I would arch my back somewhat and hunch my shoulders up too.

Now that I'm running again I find myself doing the same thing. In fact, my back often aches a little when I run. But I'm trying to relax my shoulders, but I still stick out my chest. Is this bad form? What can I do to alleviate it? If it helps to know, I also have short legs and I take small strides. When I try to take longer strides I feel my back straighten a little. Any advice?

Good question. I guess at the end of the day it´s what you do most comfortably. Distance running is also different from sprint. I try and run with as little extra effort as possible, I lift my feet only "just" high enough, I try to relax shoulders and arms. Often I´ll shake my hands as I run to loosen up my fingers... I feel better when they feel loose (sounds silly I know). I try to keep my back straight and my shoulders wide to help breathing. When I step up the tempo eg when chasing or more usually with me, trying to get away, I tend to point the direction with my fingers but still trying to keep them relaxed. Stride length is very personal. I ran with a guy who was a lot shorter but had a stride that ate the miles!

no avatar
BSinc

by BSinc » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:30 pm

I always tell my guys unless you're sprinting or going up hills try to use your arms very little. In distance running the upper body is just a passenger until it's time to "go". I find it's all about conserving energy. Also when you do have to use your arms make the movement front to back and not across your body.

As far as arching the back I agree with Charles.

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training