Self Defense?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
simonov

by simonov » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:17 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
SpiderSavage wrote:Idiot.

Hey, let's go to Montana and see if Pepper Spray works on Grizzly's. You go first.

My former boss has used pepper spray on Alaskan brown bears with success. Get the big cans with a minimum 30' range.

Yeah, BEAR pepper spray.

Not the shit you see at the checkout at gun stores.

You set that thing off inside a car and it might be the last thing you ever do.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:53 pm

splattski wrote:In case you missed it....

Dam, splattski, I just blew coffee, snott bubbles all over my keyboard :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:09 am

That last line is great!

dyusem

by dyusem » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Looks like charges are forthcoming for this turd:

http://news.sierrawave.net/eastern-sier ... ar-killing

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:48 pm

hikerbrian wrote:I found a canister of that stuff while backpacking in the middle of freaking nowhere Alaska with my wife (!). I picked it up so as to remove litter from the back country and discharged it downwind so that I wouldn't have to carry the extra weight for the next 4 days - we had our own. That shit is bright orange and you aren't even kidding when you say it goes off like a bomb! It is scary just to look at.

Back on topic, that dude is a effing douche bag. I hope he gets what's coming to him.

I still have one sitting in my garage as well. I found it somewhere in the Sierra I believe.

simonov

by simonov » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:22 pm

2_climbaxes wrote:And I live among a healthy black bear population and have them wander by me all the time around my house and on the trails. It's a gift for me to see one and I never feel afraid.

I imagine most members of this forum are aware that black bears aren't much of a threat to anyone.

Grizzlies, on the other hand, are scary enough that I prefer to let them have their habitats to themselves.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:11 am

redneck wrote:
2_climbaxes wrote:And I live among a healthy black bear population and have them wander by me all the time around my house and on the trails. It's a gift for me to see one and I never feel afraid.

I imagine most members of this forum are aware that black bears aren't much of a threat to anyone.

Grizzlies, on the other hand, are scary enough that I prefer to let them have their habitats to themselves.

Actually, that doesn't always seem to be true. I hiked with a local in Banff a while back and he said that the grizzlies just ran away when you made noise but that the black bears were rather aggressive in the area. Go figure...

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:16 am

I was pretty paranoid about it when I hiked in Canada and the icefields. Main advice I got was to make noise and not surprise them. We did just that and did not come across one, phew LOL

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:40 am

redneck wrote:I imagine most members of this forum are aware that black bears aren't much of a threat to anyone.

Not sure I agree with this statement. I've had some pretty frightening encournters with some pretty big black bears. Granted, a black bear is much less likely to attack than a grizz. But if a black bear attacks, playing dead ain't gonna save you.

But it doesn't sound like the black bear in this tragedy was a threat to anyone.

zcando

by zcando » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:42 pm

Any developments regarding legal action for this idiot?

Clydascope

by Clydascope » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:16 am

zcando

by zcando » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:47 am

Thanks clydascope.

dyusem

by dyusem » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:45 am

Looks like a suspended sentence, a minuscule fine, community service and making an apology to the community is all the punishment that this a-hole is getting...sheesh:

http://news.sierrawave.net/eastern-sier ... -jail-time

Genesis

by Genesis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:28 am

This is such a painful subject for me. I work at a retail store (need not be named) in the outdoor and camping industry and I get so many people coming in and telling me about how they are packing handguns and bear spray for their family camping trips to Yosemite. I try to kindly explain to them that this is so unneeded. I've been to Yosemite over 15 times in my young life, seen more than 10 different bears, some multiple times, and been on a first name basis with some (as given to them by the Yosemite park rangers). I've also encountered bears in the backcountry, which were are almost always far more scared to see me than I was to see them. Way too many ignorant people watch these horror stories on (unnamed) cable stations that show horrifying bear attacks (almost always in Alaska or other extreme wilderness settings) and think all bears are out to get them. I really hope everyone involved in the outdoors activities of California, including everyone on this forum, explain to whoever will listen about the importance of preserving the little wildlife we have left.

Previous

Return to California