Server speed

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
MarkDidier

Re: Server speed

by MarkDidier » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:38 am

An update on the current status of the slow server speed would be welcome. It is painfully slow. There are a number of albums and TRs where I would like to scroll through the pics (and maybe even vote :wink: ), but SP is just way too slow right now. For how long this has been going on, I think some feedback is due by now.

Thanks in advance!

silversummit

by silversummit » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:18 am

Last night was variable in speed - some new images loaded normally while others were very slow but I was persistent and caught up with viewing the new images, trip reports, albums as I try to do every couple days.

But tonight as Mark and others stated, :roll: :evil: :roll: the server gods are totally against us!

I am off to work on my Lake Placid album.

PS I thought of trying to pin the blame on the earthquake just as I have tried to blame any and everything since 2:13 pm yesterday but I guess that would really be stretching things wouldn't it????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:59 am

silversummit wrote:PS I thought of trying to pin the blame on the earthquake just as I have tried to blame any and everything since 2:13 pm yesterday but I guess that would really be stretching things wouldn't it????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can't blame Earthquakes ... they have too many FAULTS.

It's interesting how our current TREND (in Society) is to ALWAYS blame somebody else for our own bloody misfortunes.

Well, time for me to hit the hay. Hey, WHY is this pillow so lumpy. Must have been made in China, for crying out loud ... :roll:

Sometimes, when I wait patiently for the server to speed up, I'm reminded I'm completely and totally "LOST in a LOST world ..."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amCsfY8RvNA[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:23 am

MarkDidier wrote:An update on the current status of the slow server speed would be welcome. It is painfully slow. There are a number of albums and TRs where I would like to scroll through the pics (and maybe even vote :wink: ), but SP is just way too slow right now. For how long this has been going on, I think some feedback is due by now.

Thanks in advance!

I've stayed in touch with Matt on this, and this is from an email I received this morning:

I was on the site last night while it was slow. I restarted the MySQL server to see if that would help because sometimes after it has been running for a while (it hasn't been restarted in many months), a simple restart will help. The restart didn't help.

I think that the real problem is what it was a while back and that's that the database is getting too large and complex for the level of optimization and server size that we currently have. Something will need to be done soon to fully address the issue and that will be a significant change to database structure. The changes I made a few months ago to alleviate the slowness at that time were really just a band aid.

Unfortunately I'm terribly busy right now and I don't think that I'll have time to make any significant changes until the end of summer when things will start slowing down for me. Until then I might try to make a few more small changes to see if I can alleviate some of the server load on the database.

Matt
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Josh Lewis, MarkDidier, silversummit

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:54 am

So we can expect this for another month?

Are Matt, Josh, and Ryle accepting offers for the site? If so perhaps we can put something together that would be beneficial for everyone, especially the members here who would like to see the site perform well.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:00 am

mrchad9 wrote:So we can expect this for another month?

Are Matt, Josh, and Ryle accepting offers for the site? If so perhaps we can put something together that would be beneficial for everyone, especially the members here who would like to see the site perform well.

To Question 1-- Yes, it seems so unless the temporary fix helps.

To Question 2-- I have no idea, but in the past, offers to buy the site have been rejected. Edit: Or, I should say ignored. I don't know that they have been outright rejected.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

Luc

by Luc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:12 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:Hey!

I have an idea!

Someone should start up another site about mountains and stuff, and just start up where this one leaves off :wink:

You were just itching to find a spot to put those words together :wink:

silversummit

by silversummit » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:44 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:Haulin' ass tonight. Not sure what happened, but if you did something, Matt, thanks!.....

That has NOT happened for me any time in the past few weeks!

I tried to spend time last night viewing stuff; 1 hour looking at 3 pages of images and GAVE UP and went to bed.

The whole time I was on SP last night in slow mo, I was thinking how did so many other people actually get anything loaded and read and vote and comment and done???

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:10 pm

I'd say it's been "medium" for a couple of days now.

As an ignoramus about such things, what would it take to become "fast" ? Is it mostly software, hardware, something else?

The comments above suggest that people are giving up on the site temporarily. Those decisions could become permanent.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:The comments above suggest that people are giving up on the site temporarily. Those decisions could become permanent.

For those people that post a lot of pages, I would think their patience has to be running thin. That would not be good for SP in the long run. That being said, there still seems to be plenty of new Mountains and Routes being posted.

I know that I am more reluctant to scroll through some of the new submissions when the site is really slow. I'll have some stuff to post in a few weeks. I'll be curious to see how the site is running. If it is slow I wonder if I will have the patience to post...I know my wife won't!!!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:31 pm

MarkDidier wrote: If it is slow I wonder if I will have the patience to post...I know my wife won't!!!

Actually, I'm in (exactly) the same BOAT as Mark.

Aaaa, let me REPHRASE that ... I'm in the same DOGHOUSE as Mark !!! :!: :!: Oh, for crying out loud ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaPs8sxqB0[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:56 pm

MarkDidier wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote:The comments above suggest that people are giving up on the site temporarily. Those decisions could become permanent.

For those people that post a lot of pages, I would think their patience has to be running thin.

I worry less about that-- page contributors may be frustrated but will probably wait for faster periods to do their work-- and more about people who are primarily users, guests and members alike, getting frustrated and going away.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
MarkDidier wrote:

For those people that post a lot of pages, I would think their patience has to be running thin.

I worry less about that-- page contributors may be frustrated but will probably wait for faster periods to do their work-- and more about people who are primarily users, guests and members alike, getting frustrated and going away.

Well put Bob. This is the true cost and why the site will eventually die at its current pace. Users quitting on the site because it is so slow and quite frankly boring at the moment. Several of us do have the funds to put together a much better effort. The issue is finding the right person to run it. Programmers and IT folks in general (no offence) are either way to nerdy, obese or both (I interviewed a few once). I wouldn't dare hire someone unless they had a lot of passion for the outdoors first and foremost. They have to get the industry and love working in it. Hard to find that kind of talent in the outdoor industry really. Most nerds actually enjoy being in front of a computer screen. Most outdoor enthusiasts, climbers, skiers, etc, sacrifice careers and money to be outside. But if anyone thinks they have what it takes, they are welcome to send me a PM. A younger clone of member Peter Valchev is what I am looking for. But he happens to be one of my better friends/climbing partners and thus I advocate he conquers the world with Google, obviously one of the best companies on the planet. Of course there is no one person in today's complex Internet market who has the knowledge to run a progressive site on their own. But they must have some in depth knowledge and common sense to know how to hire parts done and keep it all maintained and working together. The facebook story comes to mind. I am sure many laughed it off. Add on top of that knowledge true passion for the outdoors, which I believe is a prerequisite to this task or you are just another nerd who in the end, does not have the passion nor time to invest into a potential career such as this.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback