Snow shelters with scouts?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
climberslacker

Snow shelters with scouts?

by climberslacker » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:39 am

Hey guys,
I have been put on charge of finding a location to snow shelters with scouts this february. The plan is that we will arrive saturday, and build shelters all day and then sleep in them and leave sunday. Any ideas of were we could do this? We are from San Diego, so somewere no more then a 6 hour drive would be nice. Any ideas on campgrounds? My scoutmaster wants a carcamping location becuase we dont really want to have to deal with something going wrong at 3 in the morning even a mile away from the cars. Maybe a 1/8 of a mile will be acceptable. Thanks so much!
-Jace

LithiumMetalman

Dodge ridge

by LithiumMetalman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:50 am

When I was first learning how to build snow shelters we use to go to Dodge Ridge, easy access to and fro to the Nat'l Forest land right next to the ski resort.

Spent last winter refreshing on snow cave building skillz.

hope this helps!

Whoops! didn't realize you were so far away!!

DanielWade

by DanielWade » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:08 am

I take my Scout groups to the Tom's Place (Bishop) area after a good snow.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:42 pm

I was thinking about going to toms place. Do you know any campsites?

Langenbacher

by Langenbacher » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:33 am

When I took "BMC", basic mountaineering course, with the San Diego Sierra Club, we took 3 bus loads of people up someplace on the 'escape route' just north of Mammoth for the weekend. Built and slept in an igloo. Very enjoyable. It was 25 years ago, so I don't recall so much about the location as I do about the adventure.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:20 pm

Trying to find a list of campsites/ trails/ permit regulations in Inyo nat. Forrest. If anyone knows of any campsites/ trails that I may be able to use please let me know! Also I am considering the Angles Crest hike, but need more info on how you get to it/ how long of a hike it is/ parking/ legality.

Thanks guys! My troop and I really appreciate it!

-Jace

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:27 pm

I've been taking my LA based Scout Troop to Sequoia every year for this. We snowshoe to Panther Gap. It's pretty reliable. We've tried the San Gabriels, San Jacinto, and Mt Pinos but the conditions are too unreliable for long term planning. This year we plan to go to Yosemite and hike out of Badger Pass.

We backpack in using REI 4-season tents, then build snow shelters as an option. We build a large communal kitchen where we spend most of our time. Dig and sculpt it then put a tarp over the top.

Buckhorn Campground in the San Gabriels gets great conditions at least once a year but that area is always technically closed. You need to watch the weather and get up there right after a big storm.

San Jacinto can be pretty good. LAAC runs winter camping training out of there using the tram to get up to the snow.

For this year, if you don't want to drive to Sequoia, you should go for the San Bernardinos.

There are not many places where you can just car camp and do this so I advise backpacking in. This is for older kids. The 11-12 year olds cannot restrain themselves from getting soaking wet within 2 hours of arriving at the snow.

LAAC opens Forest Lawn Scout Reservation at Lake Arrowhead in the winter. www.boyscoutsla.org.

Return to California