soft shell jackets

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:50 am

I prefer the Mammut softshells but I've been able to get great deals on them (1/2 price) at IME in North Conway, NH. I tend to generate a lot of heat when I'm climbing, so much that I can't even wear fleece on Mt. Washington in February. The Mammut softshells really let the heat out and have been great for me.
ImageImage

panamos

by panamos » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:04 am

I agree with the hard option..
Base layer, MH monkey man and a shell. Works almost everywhere for me and gives me the option to remove layers.
I use soft shell pants always though, with a shell in case things get wet.
Cheers.

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:03 am

I have a few different soft shell type of jackets that are very functional;

1] Patagoina R4 that I really like for backcountry skiing, The R4 breathes, well cuts the wind ok [as long as it is sub 30mph], and insulates well at the top of the skin track. I throw my puff ball in the pack in case things get gnarly

2] For alpine climbing I have a Ready Mix that I like a ton, breathes very well, super DWR,
fits great under my harness,and is very light weight. Worn over a cap 2 or 3, it keeps me comfortable in a wide range of conditions, as long as I am active. Again I bring a nylon/wool vest and my puff ball as a layer over in case things get gnarly.

3] Patagonia Guide, another great jacket for back-country skiing. It is a heavier material than the Ready Mix, with out the insulation of the R4. I will wear this jacket over an expedition weight zip neck and nylon/wool mix vest for very cold days in the backcountry. The Puff-Ball is the layer over, [just in case].

4] For spring/early summer and late summer/fall climbing, I wear the TNF Zeitgeist, it is a great shirt. Breathes well, again a good DWR that will withstand a gentle, or brief moderate rain, I throw in my Ready Mix in case the thunder storm does not quit.

5] ArcTeryx soft shell I got on sale from Steep and Cheap, I have not given it much of a run yet, but it is between the R4 and the Guide, with a 100 weight fleece bonded to the Schoeller. We will see how well it works.

These layering systems are not appreciatively heavy, when compared to fleece and hard shells, and generally speaking are less bulky.

The lesson here is that you will need to fit the jacket to your objective if at all possible.
Don`t expect an insulated model will work well for summer objectives, or that the Ready Mix will keep you comfortable at -10 F., [unless the sun is shinning and you are skinning up a very steep track]. At the same time there is still a place for the hard shell, like this past winter when I had on a Cap 2, an expedition weight zip neck, a nylon/wool vest, a Puff Ball, and my MH Ethereal 3 layer Gore-Tex to ski in -50C [-58F] air temp conditions at Castle Mtn. Alberta!
Add on the wind speed of hard and fast skiing, and the frost bit cheeks and noses were apparent by noon! Super dry fluffy knee deep powder made it worth while! :D

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:56 am

T Sharp wrote:Add on the wind speed of hard and fast skiing, and the frost bit cheeks and noses were apparent by noon! Super dry fluffy knee deep powder made it worth while! :D

Nice! :twisted:

WML

by WML » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:22 am

For alpine climbing I love my Patagonia Ascensionist. Great breathability, very minimalist, and super comfortable. Blocks out the elements well. For warmer days with a breeze, I wear the Nine Trails jacket by Patagonia.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:00 am

I just got a Outdoor Research Credo jacket. I am waiting for it to arrive so will post more info later. I really like fleece BUT doesnt look as nice when used as outside layer since almost anything sticks to it, specially hair and pieces of fabric (like from a towel) and dirt. I usually use the fleece under my ski jacket when temps are in the 20's. If its dry I can use the fleece outside down to about 40 if there isnt much wind.

I want the softshell as my main jacket for 20-50 deg weather with no rain but some snow. I plan to use it with or without my base layer and with or without my hardshell. If it gets really cold I might use the fleece under it.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:15 pm

My Mammut Laser is super warm and my Patagonia ReadyMix is super light and breathable. I only wear them in sub freezing temps... otherwise there not much help. I don't think they are a marketing scheme however... They work as they should, given the right conditions. That being said... if you think a soft-shell looks cool enough to wear out to the pub... you need help (and you probably don't get laid often).

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:48 am

MH Torch is discontinued. Can't find a large on spadout. Fml

Don't need a softshell to not get laid. Fml

no avatar
strat1080

by strat1080 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:47 am

I actually have never really found a use for a soft shell jacket. I think soft shell pants are quite handy for cool to cold conditions because they just seem very comfortable in a wide range of conditions. They seem more substantial than nylon pants and stretch quite well. I find that the most versatile top is a hooded wind jacket or windshirt. I can wear different weight baselayers to better adapt to the conditions. A lightweight wind layer is highly breathable and very weather resistant. Short of a steady rain or all out blizzard I find my wind jacket is enough. The best thing about it is that it only weighs 4 oz and packs down to the size of a baseball. My particular model is the Outdoor Research Synapse which is very similar to the Patagonia Houdini. To me this windshirt combined with the proper baselayer accomplishes everything that a softshell is supposed to at a much lighter weight and its even more versatile and better suited to varying weather conditions. I've never been a big fan of the soft shell jacket trend. I just don't think that there is one fabric that is truly breathable, yet insulative, yet weatherproof enough to meet all conditions. I think you are better off with 2 layers that are designed to compliment each other.

I find that my wind jacket combined with a light baselayer is enough for virtually all mountain conditions while active during the summer months. I bring an insulating jacket for when I'm inactice. As it gets colder I wear a heavier baselayer underneath the wind jacket and also bring an insulating jacket. I don't think soft shells are insulative enough when inactive and to me they are just too heavy for the protection and insulation they provide while active. A 1/4 zip heavy weight baselayer underneath my windshell or waterproof parka is enough for me in the most frigid conditions the Colorado mountains can offer during the winter while active. I throw on my insulating parka on top of that when inactive. I think a windshirt is simply more versatile than a soft shell. I can use mine most of the year except in really windy winter conditions, when I use my waterproof jacket. In the summer I also pack along a silnylon poncho/tarp which is also a very versatile piece of gear. I pitch it over a bivy sack as my main 3 season shelter.

MountaingirlBC

by MountaingirlBC » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:44 pm

I love my Marmot softshell for day trips. It is a snugger fit, it doesn't make the swoosh swoosh sound, and it is waterproof enough to get you through the miserable but not very intense type of rain we tend to get here in the PNW. But I usually take my hard shell on overnight trips because it is lighter and I wouldn't want to get stuck out for any length of time in serious with only a softshell. I wear my softshell pants all the time but the jacket is touch and go. It doesn't cut the wind as well as my hard shell and I can stay much warmer for less weight with my down and my shell. I much prefer climbing in my softshell rather than my hardshell but if I have to choose only one to take on an overnight it'll always be the hardshell. My climbing partner swears by his Arc'Teryx softshell.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:56 pm

xDoogiex wrote:MH Torch is discontinued.

Replacement is the Dragon.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:06 am

sneakyracer wrote:I just got a Outdoor Research Credo jacket. I am waiting for it to arrive so will post more info later. I really like fleece BUT doesnt look as nice when used as outside layer since almost anything sticks to it, specially hair and pieces of fabric (like from a towel) and dirt. I usually use the fleece under my ski jacket when temps are in the 20's. If its dry I can use the fleece outside down to about 40 if there isnt much wind.

I want the softshell as my main jacket for 20-50 deg weather with no rain but some snow. I plan to use it with or without my base layer and with or without my hardshell. If it gets really cold I might use the fleece under it.

I got the Outdoor Research Credo jacket and it is really nice. Is less thick than my fleece jacket but feels as warm but more breathable and of course is more waterproof. (have yet to test it). It is nice and stretchy (just enough) and looks nice and well made with a few lined pockets (no pit zips though) I really like the thick main zipper (less prone to damage) with protective flap.

I tried a baselayer (I have polarmax single and double layer tops) and my fleece jacket underneath the Credo and it fits quite nicely so it just adds to its versatility (that 3 layer combination should be enough for my Mexican Volcanoes summit days. (I am taking a shell just in case I encounter stronger winds and for the lower peaks and lower elevations where rain is posible although rare in the dry season obviously (which im going in)

I paid $99 so I got a good deal. I ordered a large. I am 6'-2.5" and weight around 188 lbs and the L fit me perfectly. It doesnt have a hood but I dont like to use hoods most of the time (my shell has one since in heavy rain its a must)

Previous

Return to Gear