Stuck in Madrid (Jan 2)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Stuck in Madrid (Jan 2)

by Scott » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:50 pm

It looks like one of our flights was changes so we'll (daughter and I) will be in Madrid from the morning of Jan 2 to mid day Jan 3.

We might as well take advantage of it and see some of the sights.

Some questions:

Where would be the best area of the city to spend the night?

Do any SP members want to get together and do something?

What would be some recommended sights to see? Keep in mind that my daughter is 5 years old.

Thanks. :D

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:05 am

Thanks for the information. :D We'll make the best of it.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:46 am

I guess I can bump this up. We're leaving Tuesday.

johnm

by johnm » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:10 am

Scott,

If you haven't made arrangements yet consider staying at the Hotel Lope De Vega

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187514-d228582-Reviews-Hotel_Lope_de_Vega-Madrid.html Its comfortable and reasonably priced. Very central to many things. Directly across the street form the Museo De Prado. A must see but will be tedious with a 5 year old in tow. South of the Museum are the Jardin Gardens and directly behind the museum is the Parque Del Retiro. She may enjoy seeing the ducks in the large pond.

A good way to get around town would be to use the tourist MadridVision Bus. It hits all the key sights and stops right in front of the Museum. Check prices and routes here. http://www.madridvision.es/en/index.php I believe your daughter is young enough to travel for free. For one day I recommend the Historical Route.

Also walk up to the intersection of Paseo Del Prado & Calle Del Alcala. A nice photo op close to the hotel. For Dinner try the Paella. Most Hotels can recommend good Restaurant for it.

Have Fun

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks; that bus idea sounds really great. We already have the Best Western Hotel Atlantico booked, but that one you point out sounds good too.

John Climber

Re: Stuck in Madrid (Jan 2)

by John Climber » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Scott wrote:It looks like one of our flights was changes so we'll (daughter and I) will be in Madrid from the morning of Jan 2 to mid day Jan 3.

We might as well take advantage of it and see some of the sights.

Some questions:

Where would be the best area of the city to spend the night?

Do any SP members want to get together and do something?

What would be some recommended sights to see? Keep in mind that my daughter is 5 years old.

Thanks. :D

Dear Scott,

I might be in Madrid those days..I'll definitively be on the 1st jan. and if things don't get as I want I might have to stay there too. If that's so, I think I have no problem with doing an appointment.

Madrid has a lot of sight-seeing: indeed Plaza Mayor is a good tip, but just walking through its streets and going into the places to drink a wine and have some tapas should be good too. It's not really a city with a lot of sight-seeing in the classical way, but a place with a lot of street-life....

When you want to go to nature, there are mountains of 2.400 meters about 60km north from the center,...Sierra de Guadarrama. You can reach it with a Tren de Cercanías (RENFE) which has stops in the center and reaches the Puerto de Cotos, high in the mountain. Also 'La Pedriza' is a magical place, with strange rock formations from granite...with a lot of walking routes (and where people go sport-climbing). Very recommended. I think you can find something in SP.

Return to Europe