Summit Shasta Question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
WML

Re: Summit Shasta Question

by WML » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:28 pm

I would think a banana hammock is all you need at this time of year...

Yeti

by Yeti » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:Do you guys think I may get frost bite on my middle extremity if I attempt a winter day-hike in boxer briefs? Or will I stay safe if I move fast, and maybe wear one of those kickboxing protectors?

A chemical hand warmer and a Jock Strap are all you need to be truly safe.

clmbr

by clmbr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:08 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:Do you guys think I may get frost bite on my middle extremity if I attempt a winter day-hike in boxer briefs? Or will I stay safe if I move fast, and maybe wear one of those kickboxing protectors?

After climbing Denali I would only worry about your feet. You never know, it may be icy; the snow may be cold too. However, tennis shoes should be sufficient enough. Well, in case of deep snow galoshes might be more comfortable. As of the rest of your body, sun block alone would work best.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:47 pm

Galoshes will cover too much skin.

On a serious note, did you guys hear about a guy who died trying to hike up Shasta naked or something last winter? He wanted to put some rock on top or something. Did not succeed.

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 am

The story I heard was 11/11/11. Hippy commune was meditating at the Ski Bowl region. 2-3pm a 19 y/o dude decided to take a rock up in sweatpants and sweatshirt at 3pm (no shoes). I think rescue was called at around 5-6pm and was found dead the next day a few thousand feet up from the road (9-10k recall). Too bad, so young.

Yeti

by Yeti » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:02 pm

kylenicolls wrote:The story I heard was 11/11/11. Hippy commune was meditating at the Ski Bowl region. 2-3pm a 19 y/o dude decided to take a rock up in sweatpants and sweatshirt at 3pm (no shoes). I think rescue was called at around 5-6pm and was found dead the next day a few thousand feet up from the road (9-10k recall). Too bad, so young.

I also read this story, he was barefoot. They found him frozen with messed up feet.

Report wrote:November 12th – Old Ski Bowl – fatality…non-climbing related. A group of people had walked up from Bunny Flat to the Old Ski Bowl, (gate was closed at Bunny Flat) to meditate, chant and conduct religious and/or ceremonial actions…apparently Mike Falvo, who was part of this group, decided after the ceremony was over that he was just going to hike and “place a rock on top of the mountain”…he was wearing sweatpants and a light shirt and was not wearing any shoes. He never returned. Hypothermia and exposure were most likely the cause of death. His feet were reported to be mangled from his “walk”. The body was located in the upper Old Ski Bowl area and was flown out by California Highway Patrol H-16.

There are some odd people aroudn this mountain. I was in the subway after I came down, and a fella walked in dressed like Jesus, with a shepherd staff and everything. I thought he was in costume, so when he walked by I said "Oh crap it's the rapture!" and dove down to hide under my table.
I looked up and he was just staring at me with a confused smile, then said "hi", and walked on to get in line. Around his neck was not a cross, but a crystal. On his way out, he stopped by my table and chuckled that he finally got my joke, said his name was "Satia" or something.

clmbr

by clmbr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Mt Shasta is a very spiritual place for many people. I've seen individuals (often weird) as well as small and big groups (20-30 people or more) celebrating and/or performing some rituals (weddings too) at Bunny Flat and Ski Bowl (and Sand Flat). At Ski Bowl there are labyrinths built from small rocks, which been there for ages, at least the big one. There are many different stories and believes related to this mystical mountain some people laugh at, some other are very serious about. However, next time you climb it, especially when you are alone (is that possible?), think about it and, perhaps, watch for spirits...

Summit attempters, however, should never disrespect this 14K+ mountain because ignorance may cost their lives.

More details: http://mtshastaspirit.org/msspirit/gen/mysteries-of-mount-shasta/
I have no association with this website, just googled it.

Yeti

by Yeti » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:51 pm

rattler wrote:They say you should never stand on the very top of a mountain, it angers the gods.

I'll add that to the very long list of other things I do that anger the gods.

clmbr wrote:MtHowever, next time you climb it, especially when you are alone (is that possible?), think about it and, perhaps, watch for spirits...
Summit attempters, however, should never disrespect this 14K+ mountain because ignorance may cost their lives.

I solo'd it... and nearly needed a ride off the mountain. Still nursing my injury. I was excessively surprised to find that I was the only person on the mountain for most of the day. I caught a guy coming up Misery hill, that was it. When I solo something big, it's because there's nothing up there but what you bring with you (physically and emotionally). It's therapy. ;)

clmbr

by clmbr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Yeti wrote:
rattler wrote:They say you should never stand on the very top of a mountain, it angers the gods.

I'll add that to the very long list of other things I do that anger the gods.

clmbr wrote:MtHowever, next time you climb it, especially when you are alone (is that possible?), think about it and, perhaps, watch for spirits...

I solo'd it... and nearly needed a ride off the mountain. Still nursing my injury. I was excessively surprised to find that I was the only person on the mountain for most of the day. I caught a guy coming up Misery hill, that was it. When I solo something big, it's because there's nothing up there but what you bring with you (physically and emotionally). It's therapy. ;)

It's not gods, it's the mountain and its temper; and your attitude toward it. You think you can beat the mountain?

Well, there is something... It's all based on your perception. This was your first time on Shasta, on the (2nd) easiest route, and you have almost died. Besides what you have experienced, there are steeper and icier slopes, whiteouts, high winds, crevasses, rock falls, avalanches, and altitude, to name the typical; yes, even on Shasta. And yes, even on Shasta people die, and many get injured every year. You are not the only lucky exception, but still lucky, but more importantly you’ve got down by yourself. Glad you survived, and a nicely written report.
Last edited by clmbr on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clmbr

by clmbr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 pm

clmbr wrote:...but some people hold the ice ax without the [leash] attached to their wrist or harness. I see this more and more. When I asked a girl why, she said that the way she was taught in the mountaineering class, to avoid getting hurt by the ax while losing it.

Well maybe so, but I never get apart with my ice ax or ice tools, and the [leash] is tightly attached to my wrist. My ice ax is the only tool that may ultimately save my life...

billisfree wrote:I do same as clmbr does. It's loose... until I'm on a risky slope. Then I secure it to my wrist.

Fred Spicker wrote:The down side to having your ax secured to your body is that if you lose control of the ax and start to tumble you have a fair chance of being cut, stabbed,.....

clmbr wrote:Well that may be true but you still have a chance to grab it and self-arrest (that's my experience), but if not, you are dead anyway; unless, lucky, but then I would not mind to have a few cuts from my ax. However, this philosophy is based on individual's perception and preference combined with (a specific) experience. You never know till something happens.

Ben B. wrote:I have my tools attached via umbilicals... but if I'm just sporting a basic ice ax, I don't attach it because I change hands frequently. An umbilical wouldn't be a bad idea for an ax, though- attach with a nano or snap-link, and you can quickly switch from the head to the point, when going from shaft plunging to traction. Would require wearing a harness, though. . .

twoshuzz wrote:. . .
Generally, I myself am not one to leash the ax, especially with a wrist leash. My reasons vary between both Ben and Fred's observations. There have been those times when I've run an umbi on my ax, but those have been rare and generally not on lower 48 peaks. When running a pair of tools, I've always used umbis.

Src: crap-another-hood-climber-fall-t62448.html

Yeti wrote:. . .
I solo'd it... and nearly needed a ride off the mountain. Still nursing my injury. .

in the above story Yeti wrote:. . .
Earlier that morning, I'd decided to tighten up my leash; it had been loose so that swapping hands was easier, but I thought it'd be safer to cinch it up as things got steeper. Glad I did, to have lost the axe would have been my end. I remember a sense of "You've stopped! Now don't you $%^&ing move from this position!"
. . .

Yeti

by Yeti » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:48 am

So the risk vs reward is:
-Risk being injured by your ice axe in return for being able to stop a fall.
-Die in a fall.

At the speed I was going, even if I'd had a solid grip, I wouldn't have held it in the arrest. without the leash, the axe would have stuck and my hands would have slipped right off of it.

If I'm going to die in a fall, I want my ice axe protruding out of my body somewhere so people don't have to ask; "How did he die?"

clmbr wrote: It's not gods, it's the mountain and its temper; and your attitude toward it. You think you can beat the mountain?

No one beats the mountains, they always last longer. I've climbed steeper routes in worse conditions, this was the law of averages catching up with me: If you do anything enough, you're going to make a mistake, especially if you're feeling confident. I took this one very seriously in my preparation and execution, it was one of a few thousand steps that made the trip worth writing about. :?

The following user would like to thank Yeti for this post
clmbr

Previous

Return to California