This weekend looking good.....help

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Tonka

This weekend looking good.....help

by Tonka » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:12 pm

Coming out for the weekend and I can't decide what to do. Looks like snow isn't a big issue and the forcasts look pretty good. We don't get in until Friday evening and we leave on the 0-dark-thirty Monday morning so we are looking to stay within an hour or two of the airport so it limits our options. We're doing Kili in December and we've done a great job, for flatlanders, of getting up high every month. Here are a few things I've thought about.

- Democrat/Bross/Lincoln if the road to Kite Lake is open. I heard there was some construction closures. Short milage and a lot of time up high. Can always have fun in Breck for the weekend and prices should be down. ( This is what I'm leaning towards)
- Staying in Lyons and bumming around in RMNP, Meeker or Mount Lady Washington. I like the Aspen Leaf motel right across from Oskar Blues. It would have been right up my grandpa's alley.
- Pikes peak via the crags route. We've never really spent anytime in the Springs. This is probably the lowest on the list but I think it would be a good time to tick off Pikes with the lack of crowds and snow.

I'm not set on having to do a 14er just looking for a good day.

Bill Reed

Re: This weekend looking good.....help

by Bill Reed » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:05 am

FYI Tonka,
Snow has become a bigger issue with an 6-12 inch fall last night and today on the Front Range. Thinking they got quite a bit more up higher but haven't heard details other than reports of 16" in RMNP.
Hope you have a great time this weekend!

shanahan96

by shanahan96 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:09 am

longs and meeker were significantly whiter this morning than i've ever seen them. if you want to try meeker this weekend, taking the southeast ridge to the sub-summit would be an incredible adventure. the avy danger wouldn't be a problem either, postholing and rock hopping up high could be a whole different story. lady washington via its east ridge would work also.

jamie

Tonka

by Tonka » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:59 am

I've booked in Breck so that's where we'll be staying. $150 total for 2 nights with full kitchen, parking and right in town. We love getting these off season prices. I talked with the South Park ranger office and they said 19 inches in Fairplay and maybe more up high. The Snotel sites report a lot less. We're still not ready to haul snowshoes.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:40 am

Well, youve already make up your mind but to all who consider Mount lady Washington:

That mountain is lame.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Return to Colorado