Weekend backpack size

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Snowy

Re: Weekend backpack size

by Snowy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 pm

In the 50l size range (which I think is appropriate for your use) I'm a big fan of the Pod Sacs Black Ice: http://www.prolitegear.com/pod-sac-black-ice-backpack.html
It is simple, light, comfortable, and climbs great when you strip the frame and hipbelt. I've had one for a little over a year now and it is probably my most versatile climbing pack.

no avatar
OnlyBoulders

by OnlyBoulders » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:46 pm

All the suggestions are great guy thanks. As of right now the only pack I can find in a store to try on is the Predator (it does fit well but is sized strangely. M/L for 5'7"). While some of the non-mainstream options are surely awesome, I do like to see and fit things in person. Knowing my luck Ill meet someone with a CCW or Cilogear pack next week. Ill be picking up what my decision ends up being somtime this weekend. Ill check back in with the results then.

drpw

by drpw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:30 pm

If you have an REI around you could also look at the Flash 65 which is dope because it's nice and light or the Pinnacle 45 which I have and can recommend.

no avatar
OnlyBoulders

by OnlyBoulders » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Does the variant have a rope storage option under the lid, ala a strap that buckles down? Also does it have an expandable collar or does it have the kind that rolls down and buckles?

no avatar
bearbreeder

by bearbreeder » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 pm

my mutant has a rope strap that buckles down and an expandable collar with a drawstring

the variant should be the same ... check ospreys site

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 pm

OnlyBoulders wrote:Does the variant have a rope storage option under the lid, ala a strap that buckles down? Also does it have an expandable collar or does it have the kind that rolls down and buckles?

I have the Variant 52. Yes to the expandable collar, and I believe it also has the strap that buckles, but I'm not totally sure as its a fairly new pack to me.

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:23 am

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:29 pm

gabriele wrote:Image

Nice! That should do it.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 pm

How about a weekend pack for a 5 foot, 105 pound female?

no avatar
OnlyBoulders

by OnlyBoulders » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:39 pm

I tried on the black diamond predator and the S/M would fit you great I think. Im 5'7" and the torso was way short. Apparently they are sized strangely

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 pm

Marmaduke wrote:How about a weekend pack for a 5 foot, 105 pound female?

Look at some of the Osprey women's packs. Should be able to find something in a smaller size.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:23 pm

It'll be too big. I say make her walk.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:48 am

Go to REI and have her try on a bunch of packs. The REI folks do seem to know how to size a pack.

I have a female friend who is 5', 105lbs. Years ago, we went on a dayhike up Mt Russell. Then the next day I dayhiked to Bishop Pass, while she carried a full backpack up, equipped for a several-day trip (tent, climbing rope, what-have-you); she was still tired from the previous day's 6000' of elevation gain. It occurred to me that I could carry her backpack a lot more easily, so we switched till we got to the turn-around point (for me). Near Bishop Pass, we switched our packs again, andI bid her adieu as she started a trip around the palisades, and I went home.

I was amazed how comfortable her backpack was, with 40 lbs of stuff, after I let out the straps. Yes, I'm just 5'6", but I take a size large for upper body clothes. The moral is: I don't think there is all that much difference between M and F packs, if the packs are good quality and highly adjustable.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 am

Moa's right, if you find something that feels good in a sm. mens', she could certainly go for it. Don't feel like she has to get a womens' pack, though there is some different curvature to the shoulder straps and whatnot. Main thing is for it to be comfortable.
I still say look at the Ospreys; some nice models there. Good luck.

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:47 am

OnlyBoulders wrote:Most likely just the Whites/Adirondacks on the east coast. 3 days would probably be the max trip length because of school obligations.

Be aware that in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks, you need to carry your food/toiletries in a bear canister during non-hibernating season (Apr-Oct, IIRC), which is a major PITA. (But beats having your camp torn to shreds by a hungry bear, I guess...)

As such, I would recommend that whatever pack you get have a fully extendable brain/lid, which will allow you to carry the bear canister sandwiched between the brain and the top of the main pack. Some packs have lids that are stitched or permanently attached with short straps on the back panel, only being adjustable on the front panel -- this style makes it harder to carry the bear canister between the lid and the pack.

My buddy Scott, on the left, is carrying the bear canister (inside the snow collar) in a pack that has a fully-adjustable lid.

PreviousNext

Return to Gear