What's New in the Midwest...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
User Avatar
Tonka

 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:24 pm
Thanked: 115 times in 88 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by Tonka » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:18 pm

I took a header during an ice storm here in Minneapolis on Sunday. Kocked me out cold and I don't quite know how long I was laying in the street/sidewalk before the cops came and got me an ambulance. This photo was taken just after. It looks a lot worse today now that the swelling has kicked in :oops:

Image

User Avatar
aedwards

 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:00 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by aedwards » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Tonka wrote:I took a header during an ice storm here in Minneapolis on Sunday. Kocked me out cold and I don't quite know how long I was laying in the street/sidewalk before the cops came and got me an ambulance. This photo was taken just after. It looks a lot worse today now that the swelling has kicked in :oops:

Image


Ouch! What mode of transport?

User Avatar
Tonka

 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:24 pm
Thanked: 115 times in 88 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by Tonka » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:47 pm

I was wearing some light winter boots, walking.

User Avatar
drjohnso1182

 
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:26 am
Thanked: 6 times in 5 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by drjohnso1182 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:00 am

peladoboton wrote:i propose we get a thread going on midwest ice climbing...whats in, who is going, who has tools etc to loan...lots of potential here

I could get behind that. Gonna be awhile before we have ice in Illinois though. Anyone want to post a list of the dates of the ice festivals for those of us too lazy to do it ourselves?...


Also, I'm looking for recommendations/beta for a couple nights of backpacking and snowshoeing in the Porkies or thereabout in the UP, if anyone has suggestions.

User Avatar
outofstep80

 
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:17 pm
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by outofstep80 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:21 pm

drjohnso1182 wrote:
peladoboton wrote:i propose we get a thread going on midwest ice climbing...whats in, who is going, who has tools etc to loan...lots of potential here

I could get behind that. Gonna be awhile before we have ice in Illinois though. Anyone want to post a list of the dates of the ice festivals for those of us too lazy to do it ourselves?...


Also, I'm looking for recommendations/beta for a couple nights of backpacking and snowshoeing in the Porkies or thereabout in the UP, if anyone has suggestions.


Not sure about that but one of my buddies and I will be heading up to the UP to do some ice climbing a few times in the next few months if your interested.

User Avatar
aedwards

 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:00 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by aedwards » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:13 pm

peladoboton wrote:i propose we get a thread going on midwest ice climbing...whats in, who is going, who has tools etc to loan...lots of potential here


Do it up!

User Avatar
xDoogiex

 
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm
Thanked: 42 times in 20 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by xDoogiex » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:11 am

I haven't been climbing much and to poor to travel but have been going insane with tricklining. Started bouldering at a friend's sick as **** barn. F paying for a crappy boulder set at a gym.

User Avatar
drjohnso1182

 
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:26 am
Thanked: 6 times in 5 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by drjohnso1182 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:57 am

outofstep80 wrote:Not sure about that but one of my buddies and I will be heading up to the UP to do some ice climbing a few times in the next few months if your interested.

Definitely interested. Let me know.

User Avatar
aedwards

 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:00 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by aedwards » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Heading up to Nipigon to do some ice climbing in about a month. Quite excited about that.
Hoping the ice shapes up around here soon!

User Avatar
Hotoven

 
Posts: 1864
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm
Thanked: 118 times in 89 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by Hotoven » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Man Tonka, I hope your feeling better, and your new jacket is doing great after your wild encounter!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

User Avatar
evanj

 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:49 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re:

by evanj » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:02 am

breagen wrote:I just added a page on Blue Mounds, MN... And am about to embark on a crags of Iowa quest... which of course means like 3... so it wont take long I guess


I still need to get out there, thanks for the beta! There's some quality photos too.

User Avatar
outofstep80

 
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:17 pm
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by outofstep80 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:41 pm

A whole lot of frickin snow. Biggest since 89 is what I heard.

User Avatar
aedwards

 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:00 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by aedwards » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Any midwesterners climbing ice yet?

User Avatar
peladoboton

 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:40 pm
Thanked: 2316 times in 1423 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by peladoboton » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:20 pm

i guess the ice is in up in the cities at some of their parks etc

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1402

http://www.climbingcentral.com/
“Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn’t any. But this wrongs the jackass.” -Mark Twain

User Avatar
outofstep80

 
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:17 pm
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Re: What's New in the Midwest...

by outofstep80 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:24 pm

Has anyone been to or heard anything about Munising conditions? Hoping to make it up there in the next few weeks if conditions are in.

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests