What's New in the Midwest...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:33 pm

drjohnso1182 wrote:
Alpinist wrote:
grabbs146 wrote:going to rmnp in sept. for a week hoping to get longs and twin sisters. no other plans for anything else. I can't wait!!

You're going to climb Longs in summer? Why don't you man up and try it this winter with me? :P :D

SP Midwest gathering in RMNP in winter? :shock:

I'm in.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:20 pm

i need more moniez

grabbs146

WOW!!

by grabbs146 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm

I can't say yes but, I can't say no either. I taking my gf to climb her first 14er. I also would like to climb it in summer first before a winter climb if I can. I could be in on another march trip so I can man up.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:14 pm

It's a crapshoot to plan a CO trip in winter as you never know what you'll get with weather. We'll have a back-up plan though in case the avy conditions are bad. Next time bring 2 air pads though to eliminate that heatsink cavity in the tent... :wink:

emiller1

by emiller1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:13 am

got to colorado myself this summer, success on Pacfic pk via east ridge in july. I think McHenry's peak via arrowhead is in the works for 2011 followed by the Bells traverse in 2012. anybody interested in joining me?

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:00 am

outofstep80 wrote:
drjohnso1182 wrote:
Alpinist wrote:
grabbs146 wrote:going to rmnp in sept. for a week hoping to get longs and twin sisters. no other plans for anything else. I can't wait!!

You're going to climb Longs in summer? Why don't you man up and try it this winter with me? :P :D

I'm in.

Did you make it out there earlier this month?

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 am

dwhike wrote:
MarkDidier wrote:Leaving for Colorado this afternoon.. spending a week again this year in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness. :D

Do you hear the deafening silence of all the midwesterners left behind that hate you right now? :wink:

Hey Dan...It was a great trip...I know you love the Maroon Bells!!!

In summary,
Wonderful hike to Tabor Lake and a minor 13er along Tabor Creek Basin
Backpack into Snowmass Lake on Monday, summit of Snowmass Mountain on Tuesday...Snowmass has to be the most beautiful summit I have ever been on.
Recovery hike to beautiful American Lake on Wednesday.
Cold and wet Thursday climb into Len Shoemaker Basin off of West Maroon Creek.
Snow on North Maroon kept us off that on Friday so we went up Elbert via Black Cloud on Friday.

Great trip...lots of pics/reports to submit. Love Colorado, but it is good to be back in the midwest.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:17 pm

What's new in the Midwest? Nothing! Except the first forum post in 12 days!!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:25 pm

xDoogiex wrote:What's new in the Midwest? Nothing! Except the first forum post in 12 days!!

Dude that means you just have to bust out a new page! Get on it son!

Tonka

by Tonka » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 pm

#1 State or National Park in the country is..........
One you never heard of.

Taken for the Minneapolis Star and Trib.

It's official (sort of): A little-known state park in far northeastern Minnesota is the most popular in the country.

Bear Head Lake State Park was named America's Favorite Park Thursday, handily outpolling every other state and national park in the nation.

In an Internet poll sponsored by the National Park Foundation and Coca-Cola, the park received more than a quarter of the 5.7 million votes cast.

It received 1,690,184 votes, compared to the runner up, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which got just over 1 million.

Park manager Jen Westlund said she was "completely flabbergasted" by the win.

The park's outsized online popularity can be attributed to its resident bears, particularly Lily and her cub, Hope, who became Internet stars earlier this year via a webcam that recorded Hope's birth.

The North American Bear Center in Ely made the bears famous and was back in the news this week after another one of its research bears was killed by a hunter.

Westlund said she "attribute[s] the win to the social media -- Facebook and the Internet. Some people voted hour after hour."

The designation as the nation's favorite park will net the Department of National Resources $100,000.

Westlund said the money will be used to build a three-season trail center, an amenity that had been on the books for years but never pursued because of a lack of money.

"At a time when many parks are facing difficult budget decisions, this is quite an opportunity for us," she said.

The 4,300-acre park is a pretty, if obscure, park between Ely and Tower with stately pines and a lake for paddling, fishing and swimming, plus hiking, cross-country skiing and snowmobile trails.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:09 pm

drjohnso1182 wrote:
outofstep80 wrote:
drjohnso1182 wrote:
Alpinist wrote:

I'm in.

Did you make it out there earlier this month?

Yeah Doug, Longs is really starting to kill my success rate :roll: Next trip won't be for 2 years, next year will not be good for climbing.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:46 am

outofstep80 wrote:Yeah Doug, Longs is really starting to kill my success rate :roll: Next trip won't be for 2 years, next year will not be good for climbing.

I know you're busy next summer, but if you can find a free three-day weekend, and we drive overnight, and we climb fast...

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:16 am

drjohnso1182 wrote:
outofstep80 wrote:Yeah Doug, Longs is really starting to kill my success rate :roll: Next trip won't be for 2 years, next year will not be good for climbing.

I know you're busy next summer, but if you can find a free three-day weekend, and we drive overnight, and we climb fast...

This could work. Maybe in say July??

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:30 pm

peladoboton wrote:you guys need one of those depressurized sleep tents...

....I will be making some of those 3-day weekend runs to Denver in May and June...great time for Keiners if anyone is interested.

I'm definitely interested in a quick 3 day weekend. I need to see how next summer plays out. My 2nd kid is due March 15th so I need to make sure the family is settled before I leave the wife alone. May and June may be a little early for me. We will see.

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)