Which wild animals have you seen while hiking?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
flechenbones

Re: Wich wild animals have you seen while hiking?

by flechenbones » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:34 am

Saw a bobcat and many Elk on Escudilla Mtn (Arizona) this past weekend. Lots of pronghorn antelope on the drive as well.

jdavies212

by jdavies212 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:13 am

I can't believe all these hundreds of posts and no one has mentioned the creature which is endemic worldwide, but especially popular in N. America. Sightings are claimed most often near children's summer camps, and nearly always around a campfire where newbies are present. Seemingly always talked about but seldom actually seen despite the multitude of claims. The venerable yet illusive Snipe. Anyone?

Moni

by Moni » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:13 pm

Sure I have seen the occasional snipe in our wetlands (not all that common here) but I don't consider it to be a mountain bird. These same wetlands are part of a large wildlife refuge that also host tundra gueese, trumpeter swans, Canadian geese, a large variety of diving ducks, hawks, owls, bald eagle, moose, deer, elk. etc. I have seen them all within that last few months while working out there.

By the way, last week I saw elk and deer and a great horned owl while hiking in northern Idaho. There were lots of moose track but didn't see any.

johngenx

by johngenx » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:08 pm

Big and big-ish animals?

Muskox, polar bear, arctic fox, wolves and caribou on Baffin Island and Arctic Ocean ice.

Wolverine, deer, moose, bald eagles, Black bears and mountain goats in the Yukon/Northern B.C.

Wolverine, Grizzly bears, Black bears, caribou, moose, cougar, porcupine, all sorts of birds of prey, marmots, deer, sheep and goats in the Canadian Rockies.

Many, many small bird and rodent-types.

desainme

by desainme » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:19 pm

I saw a red tailed hawk perched in a tall Silver Maple right in town. S/He stayed there while I passed by during this Christmas. 1 canid in Yellowstone Park this summer. One smallish moose east of the same park.
A herd of Big Horn Sheep in Montana near the Idaho line bedded down by the road as I went from Missoula toward Salmon Idaho. Mostly I see white-tailed deer in the yard and on the street and sidewalk.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:50 am

I am fortunate to have family right outside Yellowstone. I've also travelled

Polar, Grizzly & Black Bear
Wolverine, Pine Marten, Longtail Weasel
Marmots, Yellow Bellied, etc.
Otter
Beaver
Muskrat
Mountain Lion
Lynx
Bobcat
Moose
Buffalo
Elk
Deer
Bighorn & Dall Sheep
Mountain Goats
Pronghorn ("Antelope")
Caribou
Cranes, Eagles, Falcons, Hawks, Swans, etc.

More animals, not time. Cheers friends,

John

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:24 am

In the San Jacinto Mountains near Palm Springs California, I have seen Mule Deer, Raccoon, Bobcat, Kit Fox, Coyote, Bighorn Sheep, Western Grey Squirrel, White Headed Woodpecker, Great Horned Owl, Hawk, Steller's Jay, and Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. No Mountain Lions thank god.

foreverwild

by foreverwild » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:37 pm

Black bear, Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Pika, Ptarmigan, Marmot, Elk, numerous deer, fox, birds of prey in Colorado

Gams, Wild boar, Muflon(spelling massacred), deer, fox, etc in Germany
Llama in Chile

Osprey, Eagles, etc at Dal Lake in Kashmir

Roosevelt Elk, deer, spawning wild salmon and steelhead in Olympic NP

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:40 pm

my mother in law :(

tarol

by tarol » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:19 pm

Off the top of my head (probably have forgotten something here...) Grizzly bears, Black bears, coyote, bobcats, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, mule deer, moose, elk, pronghorn antelope, wild pigs, marmots, pika, ground squirrels, kangaroo rat, pine marten, mink, racoons, golden eagles, great-horned owls, grouse, condors, etc.

I hope to someday see a mountain lion, a wolf, a fisher, a wolverine, and a bull moose in the wild.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:39 am

It was not mountaineering but the other day while mountain biking on the snow that covered the north half of Madrid city I saw a rabbit or little hare just on the outskirts, near Monte de el Pardo. I still have to identify it

Holsti97

Wildlife

by Holsti97 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:43 am

I have seen a lot of the animals mentioned by others. The neatest animal I seen was a Fisher. Seen it in the Mead Wildlife Refuge in Central Wisconsin.

Today I saw an Ivory-Billed Woodpecker while hiking. :wink: Well it really was a Pileated Woodpecker, but I was thrilled just the same, since it has been several years since I have seen one. I saw it on Powers Bluff (the highpoint of Wood County, Wisconsin). I was obsessed with the "extinct" Ivory-billed woodpecker as a kid and am glad to hear that they recently sighted one in Arkansas.

Maqsood

Wild life

by Maqsood » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:30 am

In Chitral....Markhor mountain goat, golden Marmots, fox wolf. Falcons, snowcock Lammergeyer Eagles and sometime a snowleopard.

madjohnbo

by madjohnbo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:14 pm

I was walking up the trail to the local crag, 5,000 ft altitude, when I was surprised to see two bighorn sheep no more than ten feet away. They didn't care one bit that this was a heavily used trail. No fear of humans (though I had a little bit of fear having a it charge me)

Gak Icenberg

by Gak Icenberg » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:24 pm

A couple of weeks ago I saw A jackalope run across the trail here in the eastern sierra high desert. :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to General