Pt. 1078 - South Gate

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.25100°N / 114.67404°W
Additional Information County: clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3537 ft / 1078 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Un-named on any maps I have seen, I call this peak "South Gate" because it and its neighbor across the street have always reminded me of a gate way thru which Callville Wash passes on its way up to the western Muddy’s. It is the high point of a long ridge extending north east from Lovell Wash narrows, and the high point is at the north east terminus of the ridge rising just east and a hair north of Bowl of Fire and offers nice views of the Bowl, as well as birds eye panorama's of the surrounding area. Just one more thing to do on a long list of "wow" out in Lake Mead National Recreation Area, and the Muddy Mountains in particular are one of the finest and most attractive areas I have ever visited in the west. Something about them...

Getting There

Access is easy here and requires an entrance fee for Lake Mead NRA. From Las Vegas head to Lake Mead NRA and its Northshore Road. you could park right along the Northshore Road in Lake Mead National Recreation Area at the Bowl of Fire interpretive plaque and head in, or park in Callville Wash itself - at either A) the Bowl of Fire wash start and follow an unnamed wash along the west side of the Bowl and up or B) at the upper roads end start. Either way I made it just fine, and have on a few occasions, w/ my Hyundai elantra GT. Some soft sand in a few spots but not deep. There has been a rock slide near the upper terminus of the road in Callville Wash that a bypass has been established around, but I chose not to try it in a passenger vehicle. It only adds 5-10 minutes of foot travel time before the roads ends anyway. One could also park at the Northshore Summit trail at the commodes and walk the ridge out to drop down into Callville Wash that way. I have done all of the above and it is just a matter of preference. Or one could park in Lovell Wash at the Anniversary Mine/Lovell narrows parking spot and head up Lovell Wash thru the narrows. That parking I have also had no problem getting my Hyundai Elantra GT into on a few occasions. High clearance and 4wd definitely make it entirely worry free though no matter which start you choose.

Route

From wherever one chooses to start the goal is the NW flank of South Gate. Its walled and terraced face has a break in it which allows for an always steep, and frequently loose, ascent which pops you out all of a sudden right at the high point. Now enjoy the views ! Don’t forget to enjoy the journey along the way either, it’s the whole experience that is the point, not just the high spot. Then you can either retrace your route back down OR descend the NE face. This was steep and loose as well, and a little ledgier w/ a few short, easy down climbs. Then near the bottom above the talus fan of its base there are a couple down climbs that I found not to difficult, low 5th class (?), the 1st ~6’, followed by an ~15’ crack . I am not a real climber but I had little difficulty doing this. A 50' handline would help for those who would enjoy its comfort. You could also ascend South Gate this way, it would be easier going up than down, but either way holds are good and well placed, if a little narrow.

And I have not looked into this route, but there appears to be an uncomplicated walk up from midway along the south ridge that culminates in South Gate. Wander a wash thru the red rock domes of the western portion of Bowl of Fire (a great area to spend some time in all by itself) to what looks to be a walk up to the ridge line, then follow north east to South Gate peak.

north gatenorth gate
bowl of firebowl of fire
the blockthe ne flank crack route block

Camping

There are various campgrounds throughout Lake Mead NRA. See the Lake Mead NRA web site for regulations regarding primitive camping. There are nice sites along the Bitter Springs Backcountry Byway.

External Links

lake mead nra

more pics

Red Tape

There is an access fee for Lake Mead NRA, and abide by all Lake Mead NRA regulations.