Quiet Day on Mt Alvernia

Quiet Day on Mt Alvernia

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 2, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Country High Point #1

While I'm known mostly as a state highpointer on this site I've decided to begin a new list concurrently.  You see my wife does not like the cold so we find ourselves heading to warmer climate at least once per winter.  So I figured why not come up with a list where we can accomplish both her goals of relaxation and warmth and mine of peakbagging.  So when her family proposed a weeklong trip to the Atlantis resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamas I knew 2 things 1) it would be a great time to start bagging some Caribbean Island Nation highpoints and 2) I'll need a family break about half way through this trip no matter what anyways. 

Mt Alvernia or Como Hill is located on Cat island and is a whopping 206ft of elevation.  So the most difficult part of this trip is logistically getting there not so much the whole hiking thing.  I like lists that take me to quirky or odd places and every journey must start somewhere so here I am.  Sky Bahamas runs 2 flights a day to Cat Island from Nassau so I booked my self on the morning flight there which arrived at 10am and a return trip for approx. 5pm (we left at 430 since everyone had checked in).  I arrived at the New Bight Airport that morning which is about the size of my Manhattan apartment and since I'm not rich that's pretty small indeed. 

Airport
Airport

When I saw this sign I knew I was at right place.  Luckily I acclimatized at my hotel by sleeping on 4th floor for a few days prior.

Airport Sign
Airport Sign

I arranged for a rental car to come and pick me up at airport.  Cat Island only really has one major road so getting lost isn't an issue although you do drive on other side of road so remember that.  I rented car from Gilbert's Market they said they would pick me up but didn't (its like 2 miles away) so I called and they said they have no one to get me and to find a ride.  Its the islands so no worries the woman from behind counter at airport asked one the other employees and she drove me there.  If you have a foldable bicycle you could just take that to mountain or jog the 5 or so miles each way.  Turn onto road when you see this sign

Bad Sign
Bad Sign

and you see your goal right away,

Mountain
Mountain

Trailhead

Sign
Sign

You walk through the forest and up some slightly steep rocks. 

Trailhead
Trailhead
You can brush up on your stations of the cross while you do it. 

Staions
Stations


Stations Trail
Stations Trail

At top there is the old abandoned church "The Hermitage". 

Me on Top
Me on Top

here is geo marker to prove I made it. 

Geo Marker
Geo Marker

Best views in the Bahamas.

Ocean View
Ocean View

I stayed up top for over an hour since this was whole point of trip and I needed a break after the 10 minute hike up.  I explored the ruins, had a cigar, read my novel, and watched the lizards running around.  Amazingly quiet not more than few birds chirping. 

Ruins
Ruins

Steep Descent

Descent
Descent

After that I headed to Fernandez Bay Village for lunch.  really nice boutique resort with super friendly staff.  Burger was good and the bar is honor system so I made myself a stiff rum and coke to enjoy on porch.

Lunch
lunch

After that I headed to abandoned side of island to explore.  There was lots of sea junk washed ashore but no treasure as I hoped.  I was only person for miles.

Uninhabitated
Uninhabitated

After that I drove around island some more.  Every car and pedestrian waves as you pass, they don't get many visitors and there is only 1500 people on entire 50 mile long island.  Its a nice way to spend a quiet long weekend, there is also some blue holes you can snorkel to and some cool kayaking, but you have to stay at a hotel to use equipment.  so I was out of luck.  I headed back to airport but there was one more thing I had to do.

Last Minute Pit Stop
Last Minute Pit Stop



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.